Water Bottle Question...

  • kevinfromwebb
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2002
      Hey I know this has been discussed before but here's my question:
      I've got a small 'fox' seat bag under my seat that's attached by the
      seat rails, is there a type of bottle holder that attaches to the
      seatpost maybe that wouldn't interfere with the seat bag???
      Thanks... Oh, I've got a 54cm bike and all that would fit in the
      frame is a 20 oz bottle, can the larger frame sizes hold a larger 28
      oz bottle???

      Kevin
    • Matt Schiller
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2002
        Kevin: I tried a bag with my Minora dual cage thing, and I didn't like it. The Profile one
        should work for you though, it mounts to the seatpost instead of the seat (like my Minora).

        On my 59cm Y77 I am able to get a bigger bottle in using my side entry bottle cage, with a
        normal cage I wasnt able to remove/replace a bigger bottle. If you really wanted to you could
        make an adapter that would make one fit... Small peice of metal that would move the cage down
        X inches type thing...

        I am not sure if it is just my bottles or the design, but I have had one of my bottles in the
        rear fall out more then once, but they are old bottles...
        Hope you find what your looking for.
        Matt
        mailto:vetteracer@...
        1998 59cm Gold Y77 - Record 8-Speed Groupo, CXP30/Record wheelset, Syncros Revolutions cranks
        39/53, Litespeed Ti BB, SLR Saddle, Speedplay X2 pedals, Easton EC90 42cm bars. ~20.5#?
        1997 Small Nude Y33 - XTR Cassette & Rear D, XT Rapidfires & Front D, Syncros BB Seatpost Stem
        Bars, Dirt Research Ti saddle, Coda 701M CNC Cranks 22/32/42, Magura HS22 brakes with Kooka
        Levers and Braided SS lines, Speedplay Frog pedals. 24.5#

        8/6/2002 4:29:01 PM, "kevinfromwebb" <kevinfromwebb@...> wrote:

        >Hey I know this has been discussed before but here's my question:
        >I've got a small 'fox' seat bag under my seat that's attached by the
        >seat rails, is there a type of bottle holder that attaches to the
        >seatpost maybe that wouldn't interfere with the seat bag???
        >Thanks... Oh, I've got a 54cm bike and all that would fit in the
        >frame is a 20 oz bottle, can the larger frame sizes hold a larger 28
        >oz bottle???
        >
        >Kevin

      • Rick Warner
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2002
          Matt,

          I am not sure that those of us with shorter frames can make room for a
          larger
          bottle by shifting the cage rearward. On my 56-cm frame the cage is
          sitting
          right against the rear brake caliper, at least on the left side. I
          would need to
          shift the cage to the right to move it back any further. I think cage
          design
          impacts what bottle you can get in and out easily. A standard bottle
          cage does
          not flex enough for me to get a 20 oz bottle out, but the Ciussi Elite
          does;
          the bottle has to go sideways then up, not up and sideways. If you look
          at the
          pic I have posted, with the bike on the beach, you can see that there is
          little
          clearance between the bottle and the frame. As an aside, because taking
          the
          bottle in and out does rub the frame I have a piece of clear acrylic
          tape in that
          area to protect the frame finish ;)

          BTW, last year I rode part of a ride with a guy who had a 61 cm frame
          and he was
          able to use a full sized bottle without any problems. Another reason
          for me
          to wish my legs were longer :)

          - rick -

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2002
            Rick, I didnt even think about the rear clearance...
            Get yourself a side entry cage... I love mine, I am going to get one for my mtn bike because
            the cage mount is on the bottom and I have ran both the bottle and my hand into the front tire
            on various occasions dealing with it (low speed luckily).
            The 61 wouldnt suprise me, I could get a full size one out with a normal cage if I wanted to
            rub the frame.

            Matt

            8/6/2002 5:22:24 PM, Rick Warner <rickwarner@...> wrote:

            >Matt,
            >
            >I am not sure that those of us with shorter frames can make room for a
            >larger
            >bottle by shifting the cage rearward. On my 56-cm frame the cage is
            >sitting
            >right against the rear brake caliper, at least on the left side. I
            >would need to
            >shift the cage to the right to move it back any further. I think cage
            >design
            >impacts what bottle you can get in and out easily. A standard bottle
            >cage does
            >not flex enough for me to get a 20 oz bottle out, but the Ciussi Elite
            >does;
            >the bottle has to go sideways then up, not up and sideways. If you look
            >at the
            >pic I have posted, with the bike on the beach, you can see that there is
            >little
            >clearance between the bottle and the frame. As an aside, because taking
            >the
            >bottle in and out does rub the frame I have a piece of clear acrylic
            >tape in that
            >area to protect the frame finish ;)
            >
            >BTW, last year I rode part of a ride with a guy who had a 61 cm frame
            >and he was
            >able to use a full sized bottle without any problems. Another reason
            >for me
            >to wish my legs were longer :)
            >
            >- rick -
          • Kevin Brown
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 10, 2002
              Saw a Profile on a rider in front of me yesterday.   Can't imagine a bag behind it.  I have ordered a minoura mount that attaches to the rails.   This should place it higher than the profile (which I believe is a seatpost mount) and accomodate a bag better.   I will let you know when I get it put on.

              Shameless plug, just got the cambrio bike outfitters catalog and good grief they have everything.   Check it out if Nash and Calorado don't seem to have what you're looking for...

              Kevin

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 10, 2002
                I'm new to this group and thought I might add my experience to this
                thread: I'm using seatpost-mounted cage mount I received with the
                frame. Don't know what brand; I just assumed it was a part Trek
                originally suplied with the frames. I bought the frame long-distance
                (L.A. to Germany). Anyway, using this cage mount I can just barely
                squeeze my seat bag in. I'm using a Topeak Wedge Bag Micro, big enough
                for two tubes, two tire levers and a small microtool. What you can fit
                using a seat post mounted cage mount depends on how much seatpost
                extension you have.

                On a related note: In the front I am using a side entry cage made by
                the European Centurion brand (totally unrelated to Centurion bikes
                that used to be sold in the U.S., like the popular Dave Scott
                Ironman). You can see a picture of it on my full-suspension tandem at
                http://tandem-fahren.de/Mitglieder/Christoph_Timm/PinusFlh.jpg The
                whole bike can be seen at
                http://tandem-fahren.de/Mitglieder/Christoph_Timm/TandemTechnology.html

                Tailwinds,
                Chris
                --
                HANS CHRISTOPH TIMM, M.A.
                Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg http://www.uni-freiburg.de
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 12, 2002

                  It is not a big bag, but big enough to carry tire tools, tube, Innovations Second Wind pump and a CO2 cartridge...
                  And you can access it without taking anything off...
                  -----08, 2002 7:52 PM
                  To: yfoil@yahoogroups.com