Re: [yfoil] Trek Y foil VS New Version Trek Madone?

  • hobie1616
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 1, 2008
      There's another way to look at the Y. If you have decided it's too heavy/old technology/whatever, then turn it into a hanger. Hanger as in cleaned up, paint touched up, waxed and hung on the wall as a piece of art.

      That's my plan when I ever (maybe never) retire mine. How can you sell a good friend that's taken you over so many miles?

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 1, 2008
        i'm starting to think that everyone here thinks i'm bashing the Y.
        on the contrary, i love the Y bike.
        the original question Gene asked was what he will be gaining/losing
        by giving up his Y for a madone.
        i gave my opinion based on my ownership of my own Y and my experience
        selling the madones. i'm just stating facts and letting Gene make
        his decision.
        the Y is an awesome bike. it was lightyears ahead of the competition
        when it came to aerotechnology. it still is one of the most
        comfortable bikes to ride. and it is is also the most sexiest
        looking frames ever made.

        BUT.

        1. i am sure all of you noticed the cracked paint 4 inches above
        your bottom bracket. it's not totally because of a case of bad
        paint. it also shows that part of the frame flexes like crazy. so
        for those of you who claim that the frame is stiff, it's not. i went
        from spinning the cranks to muscling out alot of the climbs. i had
        an immaculate 2 year old frame sans crack until i changed riding
        styles.

        2. the oclv120 from 10 years ago is inferior to the oclv120 carbon
        available today.

        3. the carbon layup technology today allows a manufacturer to use
        low mudulus AND high modulus carbon to their advantage to create a
        frame that flexes where it should, and adds strength and stiffness to
        the rest of the frame.

        there is a reason why the astana team is winning races. the madone
        is light, stiff, resilient, and comfortable enough to ride 110 mile
        road races on a daily basis.

        so what will Gene be losing/gaining going from his Y to a madone?
        he'll be gaining a bike that is far more technologically superior to
        the Y (frame only, not components). what will he be losing? other
        than the obvious comfort of a seat beam frame, a bike that was
        voted "bike of the year" by bicycling magazine, a very rare work of
        art, and a piece of bicyling history.
        in my opinion, and i'm sure the opinion of lots of the other owners,
        i'd keep the Y, but that's just my opinion.

        regards,
        art

      • glzl@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 1, 2008
          Art,
          Thanks for your opinion as you stated "facts" and while I appreciated "all" the opinions I received they were different from one who actually sells the Madone and no offense to all the other people who gave me their opinion but yours was valued just a bit higher then the rest. As for am I going to sell or keep my y foil I plan on keeping it which will definitely make a gent from Netherlands very up set. If there's any one on this forum who has a 59cm and wants to sell it get a hold of me and I'll pass his information onto you.
          I did like one person's opinion keep the Y foil and buy a Madone. That's a great idea but being a family man and a high Mortgage and just a avg salary it's not that easy a mid range Madone sells for $3000+. So I will just plug along on my Y and thank you all for the wide range of opinions.
          Oh yeah don't beat up on Wakko for his opinion we're all allowed opinions even if you don't agree with it.
          Thanks and Happy Trails, Gene

          From: "wakko warner" <faboo3@...>
          > i'm starting to think that everyone here thinks i'm bashing the Y.
          > on the contrary, i love the Y bike.
          > the original question Gene asked was what he will be gaining/losing
          > by giving up his Y for a madone.
          > i gave my opinion based on my ownership of my own Y and my experience
          > selling the madones. i'm just stating facts and letting Gene make
          > his decision.
          > the Y is an awesome bike. it was lightyears ahead of the competition
          > when it came to aerotechnology. it still is one of the most
          > comfortable bikes to ride. and it is is also the most sexiest
          > looking frames ever made.
          >
          > BUT.
          >
          > 1. i am sure all of you noticed the cracked paint 4 inches above
          > your bottom bracket. it's not totally because of a case of bad
          > paint. it also shows that part of the frame flexes like crazy. so
          > for those of you who claim that the frame is stiff, it's not. i went
          > from spinning the cranks to muscling out alot of the climbs. i had
          > an immaculate 2 year old frame sans crack until i changed riding
          > styles.
          >
          > 2. the oclv120 from 10 years ago is inferior to the oclv120 carbon
          > available today.
          >
          > 3. the carbon layup technology today allows a manufacturer to use
          > low mudulus AND high modulus carbon to their advantage to create a
          > frame that flexes where it should, and adds strength and stiffness to
          > the rest of the frame.
          >
          > there is a reason why the astana team is winning races. the madone
          > is light, stiff, resilient, and comfortable enough to ride 110 mile
          > road races on a daily basis.
          >
          > so what will Gene be losing/gaining going from his Y to a madone?
          > he'll be gaining a bike that is far more technologically superior to
          > the Y (frame only, not components). what will he be losing? other
          > than the obvious comfort of a seat beam frame, a bike that was
          > voted "bike of the year" by bicycling magazine, a very rare work of
          > art, and a piece of bicyling history.
          > in my opinion, and i'm sure the opinion of lots of the other owners,
          > i'd keep the Y, but that's just my opinion.
          >
          > regards,
          > art
          >

          > --- In yfoil@yahoogroups.com, hobie1616 <hobie1616@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > There's another way to look at the Y. If you have decided it's too
          > heavy/old technology/whatever, then turn it into a hanger. Hanger as
          > in cleaned up, paint touched up, waxed and hung on the wall as a
          > piece of art.
          > >
          > > That's my plan when I ever (maybe never) retire mine. How can you
          > sell a good friend that's taken you over so many miles?

        • Andy Phillips
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 1, 2008
            Gene,

            I didn't get the impression that we had much discention ... I think
            that the members of a Y-Foil group would totally support your decision
            to keep your Y-Foil. Wakko present a very good analysis of the case
            for and against keeping it, but at the end of the day, for many, it's
            not a logical decision but an emotional one ... And we love the Y !

            I say celebrate by buying your Y an upgrade or two.

            Andy

          • glzl@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 1, 2008
              Thanks Andy. I may just do that.
              From: Andy Phillips <andyp@...>
> [...]
              > > > road races on a daily basis.
              > > >
              > > > so what will Gene be losing/gaining going from his Y to a madone?
              > > > he'll be gaining a bike that is far more technologically superior to
              > > > the Y (frame only, not components). what will he be losing? other
              > > > than the obvious comfort of a seat beam frame, a bike that was
              > > > voted "bike of the year" by bicycling magazine, a very rare work of
              > > > art, and a piece of bicyling history.
              > > > in my opinion, and i'm sure the opinion of lots of the other owners,
              > > > i'd keep the Y, but that's just my opinion.
              > > >
              > > > regards,
              > > > art

              > > > heavy/old technology/whatever, then turn it into a hanger. Hanger as
              > > > in cleaned up, paint touched up, waxed and hung on the wall as a
              > > > piece of art.

              > > > sell a good friend that's taken you over so many miles?

            • Anthony Bucher
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 1, 2008
                Amen.

                That is what i'm going to do to mine if it develops a crack.

                That or a display case.

                To: yfoil@yahoogroups.comFrom: hobie1616@...: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 08:58:52 -0700Subject: Re: [yfoil] Trek Y foil VS New Version Trek Madone?

                There's another way to look at the Y. If you have decided it's too heavy/old technology/whatever, then turn it into a hanger. Hanger as in cleaned up, paint touched up, waxed and hung on the wall as a piece of art.That's my plan when I ever (maybe never) retire mine. How can you sell a good friend that's taken you over so many miles?----- Original Message ----From: Doug Lockhart <dougloc@...>To: yfoil@yahoogroups.comSent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:13:51 PMSubject: Re: [yfoil] Trek Y foil VS New Version Trek Madone?I have never been on a Madone so I can't comment on that. The foil although old is still a fast bike. I catch people on lighter bikes all the time on the hills. No waisted movement at the crank! When you are down on the drops and spinning away it is very fast. It has it's own charm that is hard to match. On the American river bike trail (56 mi) I am the only one on a Foil. Tons of people on very expensive bikes,-- but only me on the Foil. How can you put a price on that? It is about 2 lbs. heavier than my Dale on steriods-- the System Six. Not as fast, doesn't climb as well as the Dale but the Foil is always a pleasure to use. A keeper for sure! Doug Lockhartdougloc@surewest. netMiata 93LE #1394Trek Y-Foil # 0700"Dale"System Six94 GT Zaskar----- Original Message ----- From: Gene Richardson To: yfoil@yahoogroups. com Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:23 PMSubject: [yfoil] Trek Y foil VS New Version Trek Madone?Hey group,Are there any of you that has the newer version of Treks Madone? Ihave been offered a very fair amount of $ for my Y foil and I actuallyam thinking of selling to buy a Madone. I'm not a actual racer I justdo a lot a scheduled long distance rides and I wonder will I begaining or losing by riding today's Madone VS my Beloved Y foil.Opinion wanted. Thanks, Gene[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

              • Anthony
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 10, 2008
                  I've not visited the group for a while, and am late to this
                  discussion, but for the record:

                  Background:
                  I had a 1998 Y-66 (ice blue inkwell) with Rolf Vector Pro wheels. In
                  2003, I cracked the frame, Trek offered a 5500 to cover the warranty,
                  and I added cash to purchase a Madone 5.9 P1 (the original Madone).
                  While I was waiting on ProjectOne delivery, I purchased a 1999 Postal
                  Y with an Ultegra drive train and Dura Ace brakes. I sold the
                  Shimano wheels that came with the '99 Y and retained my Rolfs (I also
                  sold the Bontragers that came with the Madone and purchased Rolf Elan
                  Aeros). I still have both bikes (and a Dean Duke XC), and, after
                  breaking the Madone's Dura Ace brifter, I recently upgraded the
                  Madone drivetrain to SRAM Red. I ride the Madone 2500+ miles
                  annually, and the Y about 600 miles annually. I live on the edge of
                  the Texas Hill Country. My Madone weighs 15-1/4 lbs with computer
                  and bottle cage (weighed late August after installing SRAM Red), the
                  Y-Foil is around 19 lbs.

                  Observations:
                  Overall, the Madone is a more responsive, faster bike. The lighter
                  weight makes it easier to accelerate and it is also stiffer -- both
                  factors make climbing easier. That said, I prefer the Y-Foil on windy
                  days, and it attracts far more attention (and receives more
                  compliments) than the Madone. The difference in weight between the
                  Madone and the Y is about the same as the weight differential between
                  the Y and my prior entry-level bike, but it is not as noticeable
                  (likely resulting from the Y's aerodynamics). Dollar for dollar, the
                  Y-Foil was a better purchase -- the difference between the Y-Foil and
                  an entry-level bike is amazing; the difference between the Y-Foil and
                  the Madone, while noticeable, is not proportionally as great,
                  particularly when you consider that entry level to a Y-Foil was about
                  a $1500 difference then, and the difference in list prices between my
                  Y-Foil and my Madone (ignoring the time differential) was about twice
                  that.

                  I love both bikes, but prefer the Madone for daily rides. But when I
                  only have time for a short ride, I often opt for the Y-Foil. If you
                  are more of a leisurely tourer rather than a racer (not that I am a
                  racer), and primarily ride flat, windy courses, the difference
                  between the Y-Foil and the Madone may not be worth it.
                  While my Madone is older than the current models, it has great
                  components for Madones of its vintage. When I purchased the '99 Y it
                  felt slow to me -- turns out it was a factor of the wheels, tires and
                  a few other heavy parts (stem, bars, seatpost) -- once I transferred
                  the parts from my prior frame, it made a big difference. I mention
                  that because it may also indicate that a swap from a well-equipped Y
                  to a mid-level Madone may be less of a difference than what I
                  perceive on my bikes.

                  Anthony

                  --- In yfoil@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Richardson" <glzl@...> wrote:

                  > Hey group,
                  > Are there any of you that has the newer version of Treks Madone? I
                  > have been offered a very fair amount of $ for my Y foil and I
                  actually
                  > am thinking of selling to buy a Madone. I'm not a actual racer I
                  just
                  > do a lot a scheduled long distance rides and I wonder will I be
                  > gaining or losing by riding today's Madone VS my Beloved Y foil.
                  > Opinion wanted.
                  > Thanks, Gene

                • Scott Donnelly
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 10, 2008
                    Gene, Don't sell your Y-Foil like I did... I regretted it the moment I dropped it off at UPS.

                  • glzl@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 10, 2008
                      Scott,
                      I decided to keep it. Did you replace your Y ? Or are you still with out? There's a 59cm on ebay as we speak. Later, Gene
                      From: Scott Donnelly <rsdonnelly04@...>
                      > Gene, Don't sell your Y-Foil like I did... I regretted it the moment I dropped
                      > it off at UPS.

                    • Scott Donnelly
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 10, 2008
                        Gene, I sold it to a guy in PA this spring thanks to your referral. It was a frame only that I had painted by Aegis - you may recall it - black to silver fade. I have a few other bikes but will be on the look out for a Y again. Thanks,  Scott

                        From: Scott Donnelly <rsdonnelly04@ yahoo.com>

                      • glzl@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 10, 2008
                          Scott,
                          Yeah I remember it, it was a 59cm. Are you looking for just a frame or complete?
                          From: Scott Donnelly <rsdonnelly04@...>
                          > Gene, I sold it to a guy in PA this spring thanks to your referral. It was a
                          > frame only that I had painted by Aegis - you may recall it - black to silver
                          > fade. I have a few other bikes but will be on the look out for a Y again.
                          > Thanks,� Scott

                        • Scott Donnelly
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 10, 2008
                            Gene, You have a good memory! I am not in the market for another bike just now but when I am I'd probably elect a clean frame that I could build up with current gear. Being the y-foil guru, are you in the know on the the y-foil mt. bike version? With some fast wheels and 1" tires, it might be a nice hybrid for my wife (I did similar w/ my Cannondale). Take care and keep waving the y-foil flag! Scott

                            From: Scott Donnelly <rsdonnelly04@...>

                          • glzl@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 10, 2008
                              I don't have a great deal of knowledge of the y foil Mt Bike but I come across them often. Do you want me to keep you in mind if I see one? And if so what size would she need? Thanks, Gene
                              From: Scott Donnelly <rsdonnelly04@...>
                              > Gene, You have a good memory! I am not in the market for another bike just now
                              > but when I am I'd probably elect a clean frame that I could build up with
                              > current gear. Being the y-foil guru, are you in the know on the the y-foil mt.
                              > bike version? With some fast wheels and 1" tires, it might be a nice hybrid for
                              > my wife (I did similar w/ my Cannondale). Take care and keep waving the y-foil
                              > flag! Scott

                            • Scott Donnelly
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 10, 2008
                                please do pass along / post any y-foil mt. bike leads. Thx.

                                From: Scott Donnelly <rsdonnelly04@...>
                                > Gene, You have a good memory! I am not in the market for another bike just
                                now
                                > but when I am I'd probably elect a clean frame that I could build up
                                with
                                > current gear. Being the y-foil guru, are you in the know on the the y-foil
                                mt.
                                > bike version? With some fast wheels and 1" tires, it might be a nice
                                hybrid for
                                > my wife (I did similar w/ my Cannondale). Take care and keep waving the
                                y-foil
                                > flag! Scott

                              • wakko warner
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 13, 2008
                                  this isnt a post for sale of a Y mountain bike, but just another
                                  post. as some of you all know, i work at a local trek store. i just
                                  happened to have a couple of mountain y's come thru the shop every so
                                  often. the first one has been quite a few times for an assorted
                                  amount of reasons. this one was the aluminum version that gary
                                  fisher also used on his bikes. the second one is the best. it is
                                  one of the few remaining y mountain bikes in the oclv carbon
                                  construction. except for the rear shock that was recently replaced,
                                  i believe this bike is in original form. nude carbon paint with the
                                  red and white trek logo. nice. and the bike is in pristeen
                                  condition considering it's age.
                                  the cool thing about this bike is that the current owner found it at
                                  a garage sale and got it for DIRT CHEAP. he didnt give me a price,
                                  but just grinned and said he got it really cheap. so i'll take his
                                  word for it. apparently, the former owner was not aware of the value
                                  of these bikes.
                                  so the new owner is now refurbishing this bike and it's starting to
                                  look very nice. hopefully i'll be able to get some pics of it and
                                  post it here.

                                  --- In yfoil@yahoogroups.com, Scott Donnelly <rsdonnelly04@...> wrote:

                                  > please do pass along / post any y-foil mt. bike leads. Thx.

                                • wakko warner
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 14, 2008
                                    Scott
                                    what sized y foil mountain bike were you looking for? also, carbon or
                                    aluminum? i've run across a few of them on craigslist while searching
                                    for a y-foil road frame.

                                    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/877960702.html
                                    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/860638503.html
                                    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/bik/875829382.html
                                    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/bik/870566312.html

                                  • Scott Donnelly
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 15, 2008
                                      thanks for the leads. I think I am inclined towards carbon fiber though the polished aluminum frame looks sharp too!

                                      what sized y foil mountain bike were you looking for? also, carbon or
                                      aluminum? i've run across a few of them on craigslist while searching
                                      for a y-foil road frame.

                                      http://inlandempire .craigslist. org/bik/87796070 2.html
                                      http://inlandempire .craigslist. org/bik/86063850 3.html
                                      http://losangeles. craigslist. org/sfv/bik/ 875829382. html
                                      http://losangeles. craigslist. org/wst/bik/ 870566312. html

                                      --- In yfoil@yahoogroups. com, Scott Donnelly <rsdonnelly04@ ...> wrote:

                                      > please do pass along / post any y-foil mt. bike leads. Thx.

                                    • Doug Lockhart
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 15, 2008
                                        They both have their place at your home! I have a 94 ball burnished GT Zaskar that looks real nice after a cleaning with Mother's Mag polish. Another classic bike like the foils.

                                        Doug Lockhart
                                        dougloc@...
                                        Miata 93LE #1394
                                        Trek Y-Foil # 0700