Re: [yfoil] Bontrager Race and Race lites

  • Doug Lockhart
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
      I have a 2004 Trek 2300 Project One that has B race in the rear, and B race lite in the front. Why it was set up that way I have no idea? I weigh 180 and push the bike very hard and have no problems with either. They use the B race lite on the Trek Madrons. Must be a good rim.

      Doug Lockhart
      dougloc@...
      Miata 93LE #1394

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
        trek san diego guys say that the bontragers don't really have a weight
        limit. i've seen guys my size (5-9, 180#) riding the madone's with the
        race lites and x-lites on them and they say they are bombproof. stiff
        ride similar to mavic hoops, but compliant enough not to jar your
        fillings loose.
        hells bells, if i wasn't such a mavic nut, i'd bite for a pair.
        lightweight, cheap, and have a better warranty than any other mass
        production wheel company out there (i believe they have a five year,
        versus 1-2 years with the other companies)

        --- In yfoil@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Richardson" <glzl@...> wrote:

        > Group
        > Does anyone have any experiences either good or bad about these 2 mid
        > to low range wheels. I am thinking of buying a set of either one of
        > these and would like to know how they hold up for daily rides. It
        > would be for a light weight rider 115 lbs. Your opinion wanted.
        > Thanks, Gene

      • Mark Pryor
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
          I got Bontrager Race Lites as part of my 2005 Madone 5.2, and they were OK until about 1000 miles, when there seemed to be a spoke that worked itself loose continually and throw the rear wheel out of true. After a couple of trips to my LBS for fixing, the Trek rep finally admitted that the newer Race Lites were built better and stronger, so they changed out the 2005 models with a 2008 pair. Those held up for about 1000 more miles, then I noticed the rear was a bit out of true after a century. LBS trued them up and I have not ridden them much since then, so I can't give a more longer term "review" of the newer hoops.

          I am 210 or so, and am rough on rear wheels. I would probably go for newer Bontragers because of the "admission" by the local Trek rep about the older hoops.

          I also noticed that Bontrager is selling a "Classic" wheelset, with 32 spokes with "traditional" lacing for $600 MSRP.

          Mark Pryor
          mapryor@...

          "Drivers in America and Australia just have attitudes. I don't necessarily say attitudes towards cyclists, but towards other road users. People just don't realize the danger they're causing other people." -- Cadel Evans, 2007 ProTour champion, admitting that training on the road has its unsettling moments

          "A sense of humor, properly developed, is superior to any religion so far devised." -- Tom Robbins

        • glzl@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
            Mark,
            Thanks for this info. These wheels will be for my 115lb son. I recently sold to Scott a set of Rolf Vector Pros. I guess what I should have asked is will either of the bontragers hold up like the rolf vector? Whats your opinion on that? Thanks, Gene
            From: Mark Pryor <mapryor@...>
            > I got Bontrager Race Lites as part of my 2005 Madone 5.2, and they were OK until
            > about 1000 miles, when there seemed to be a spoke that worked itself loose
            > continually and throw the rear wheel out of true. After a couple of trips to my
            > LBS for fixing, the Trek rep finally admitted that the newer Race Lites were
            > built better and stronger, so they changed out the 2005 models with a 2008 pair.
            > Those held up for about 1000 more miles, then I noticed the rear was a bit out
            > of true after a century. LBS trued them up and I have not ridden them much
            > since then, so I can't give a more longer term "review" of the newer hoops.
            >
            > I am 210 or so, and am rough on rear wheels. I would probably go for newer
            > Bontragers because of the "admission" by the local Trek rep about the older
            > hoops.
            >
            > I also noticed that Bontrager is selling a "Classic" wheelset, with 32 spokes
            > with "traditional" lacing for $600 MSRP.
            >
            > Mark Pryor
            > mapryor@...
            >
            > "Drivers in America and Australia just have attitudes. I don't necessarily say
            > attitudes towards cyclists, but towards other road users. People just don't
            > realize the danger they're causing other people." -- Cadel Evans, 2007 ProTour
            > champion, admitting that training on the road has its unsettling moments
            >

            > "A sense of humor, properly developed, is superior to any religion so far
            > devised." -- Tom Robbins

          • wakko warner
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
              Gene
              i've heard that the before rolf parted from trek, the rear hubs in
              particular had a bad habit of breaking, resulting in a recall. there
              are also some reviews of the rims cracking
              i don't think that there are any bad reviews for the newer wheels
              that rolf makes (now known as rolf prima wheels).

              --- In yfoil@yahoogroups.com, glzl@... wrote:

              > Mark,
              > Thanks for this info. These wheels will be for my 115lb son. I
              recently sold to Scott a set of Rolf Vector Pros. I guess what I
              should have asked is will either of the bontragers hold up like the
              rolf vector? Whats your opinion on that? Thanks, Gene
              > From: Mark Pryor <mapryor@...>
              > > I got Bontrager Race Lites as part of my 2005 Madone 5.2, and
              they were OK until
              > > about 1000 miles, when there seemed to be a spoke that worked
              itself loose
              > > continually and throw the rear wheel out of true. After a couple
              of trips to my
              > > LBS for fixing, the Trek rep finally admitted that the newer Race
              Lites were
              > > built better and stronger, so they changed out the 2005 models
              with a 2008 pair.
              > > Those held up for about 1000 more miles, then I noticed the rear
              was a bit out
              > > of true after a century. LBS trued them up and I have not ridden
              them much
              > > since then, so I can't give a more longer term "review" of the
              newer hoops.

              > > I am 210 or so, and am rough on rear wheels. I would probably go
              for newer
              > > Bontragers because of the "admission" by the local Trek rep about
              the older
              > > hoops.
              > >
              > > I also noticed that Bontrager is selling a "Classic" wheelset,
              with 32 spokes
              > > with "traditional" lacing for $600 MSRP.
              > >
              > > Mark Pryor
              > > mapryor@...
              > >
              > > "Drivers in America and Australia just have attitudes. I don't
              necessarily say
              > > attitudes towards cyclists, but towards other road users. People
              just don't
              > > realize the danger they're causing other people." -- Cadel Evans,
              2007 ProTour
              > > champion, admitting that training on the road has its unsettling
              moments

              > > "A sense of humor, properly developed, is superior to any
              religion so far
              > > devised." -- Tom Robbins

            • Mark Pryor
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
                I am still riding Rolf Vector Comps that came stock on my 2000 Trek 5200 (now on my Gold Y-Foil,) and I have NEVER trued those wheels. Since I am rough on rear wheels, I generally trend to "cheaper" wheelsets (just can't bring myself to drop a grand on a wheelset yet), and I have had great luck with Neuvation M28 and M28 Aeros (I take the bling stickers off right away with a hair dryer). I had nothing but problems with a Colorado Cyclist-built pair of 32 spoke Open Pros and returned them, and OK experience with some off-the-shelf Mavic Cosmos (required relatively frequent truing).

                For a smaller rider, I am sure the Bontragers are just fine--the newer the better.

                I would rate my Rolf Vector Comps close to bombproof as you can get, followed by the Neuvations. I only have a couple of thousand miles of history with the Bontragers...

                Please note I am only rating on "do these wheels stay true" ... nothing about "suppleness" or "ride quality" or "horizontal stuffness and vertical compliance"...or is it the other way around???

                From: Mark Pryor <mapryor@...>
                > I got Bontrager Race Lites as part of my 2005 Madone 5.2, and they were OK until
                > about 1000 miles, when there seemed to be a spoke that worked itself loose
                > continually and throw the rear wheel out of true. After a couple of trips to my
                > LBS for fixing, the Trek rep finally admitted that the newer Race Lites were
                > built better and stronger, so they changed out the 2005 models with a 2008 pair.
                > Those held up for about 1000 more miles, then I noticed the rear was a bit out
                > of true after a century. LBS trued them up and I have not ridden them much
                > since then, so I can't give a more longer term "review" of the newer hoops.
                >
                > I am 210 or so, and am rough on rear wheels. I would probably go for newer
                > Bontragers because of the "admission" by the local Trek rep about the older
                > hoops.
                >
                > I also noticed that Bontrager is selling a "Classic" wheelset, with 32 spokes
                > with "traditional" lacing for $600 MSRP.
                >
                > Mark Pryor
                > mapryor@...
                >
                > "Drivers in America and Australia just have attitudes. I don't necessarily say
                > attitudes towards cyclists, but towards other road users. People just don't
                > realize the danger they're causing other people." -- Cadel Evans, 2007 ProTour
                > champion, admitting that training on the road has its unsettling moments
                >

                > "A sense of humor, properly developed, is superior to any religion so far
                > devised." -- Tom Robbins

              • Andy Phillips
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
                  I still have my original Rolf Vector wheels and they are perfectly true.
                  However, I replaced them on my Y-Foil with a pair of Mavic SSLs (and then
                  ES) which are a much lighter and stiffer wheel, which helped particularly
                  with hill climbing. I have a pair of Bontrager Race Lites on a 2003 Madone
                  and they are also light and stiff and have stayed true, although I have
                  probably less than 1,000 miles on this bike.

                  --- In yfoil@yahoogroups.com <mailto:yfoil%40yahoogroups.com> , glzl@...

                  Richardson" <glzl@> wrote:

                  > > > Group
                  > > > Does anyone have any experiences either good or bad about
                  these 2 mid
                  > > > to low range wheels. I am thinking of buying a set of either
                  one of
                  > > > these and would like to know how they hold up for daily rides.
                  It
                  > > > would be for a light weight rider 115 lbs. Your opinion wanted.
                  > > > Thanks, Gene

                • Mark Magdaleno
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
                    I have had bad luck with the Bontrager Race X-Lites
                    and Race Lites. Both developed cracks in the rims at
                    the spoke nipple points on all four wheels, but I
                    weigh between 175 and 180. Good luck so far with the
                    Mavic's

                  • glzl@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
                      Mark,
                      Thanks for your opion. Like mentioned they would be for a teen age boy you weighs 115. Thanks again,Gene

                      From: Mark Magdaleno <magsmagsmark@...>