Re: New to the Y-foil game - forks / stem upgrades....

  • Graham
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
      Guys,

      Thanks for your help in this. A quill adapter has been ordered then
      it's time to go shopping for new bars and a stem. I'll just learn to
      live with the forks as they are. Currently I'm planning on replacing
      the exceedingly mature Ultegra 9 speed with new 10 speed (sadly I don't
      think my budget will stretch to Dura Ace - £400 Ultegra vs £650 Dura
      Ace).

      The bike has been great - it's met and exceeded all my hopes both in
      terms of ride and looks - there's simply nothing else like it. I look
      forward to many, many great rides round the rolling English countryside
      in the coming months.

      Graham.
    • g4drive
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
        Graham,

        I changed the Y-Foil fork because it is so heavy ... the combination
        of a carbon fork, carbon bar and threadless stem made a huge
        difference in weight savings. The geometry difference changed the
        handling feel a little but I got used to it quickly and like it. For
        reference, I used an Alpha Q Sub 3 fork (under 300g), Chris King
        headset, Forte carbon bars and a Forte pro stem.

        Andy

        --- In yfoil@yahoogroups.com, "Graham" <graham.watts@...> wrote:

        > Guys,
        >
        > Thanks for your help in this. A quill adapter has been ordered
        then
        > it's time to go shopping for new bars and a stem. I'll just learn
        > live with the forks as they are. Currently I'm planning on
        replacing
        > the exceedingly mature Ultegra 9 speed with new 10 speed (sadly I
        don't
        > think my budget will stretch to Dura Ace - £400 Ultegra vs £650
        Dura
        > Ace).
        >
        > The bike has been great - it's met and exceeded all my hopes both
        in
        > terms of ride and looks - there's simply nothing else like it. I
        look
        > forward to many, many great rides round the rolling English
        countryside
        > in the coming months.
        >
        > Graham.

      • Raymond Landa
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
          GREAT CHOICE

          Graham,I changed the Y-Foil fork because it is so heavy ... the combination of a carbon fork, carbon bar and threadless stem made a huge difference in weight savings. The geometry difference changed the handling feel a little but I got used to it quickly and like it. For reference, I used an Alpha Q Sub 3 fork (under 300g), Chris King headset, Forte carbon bars and a Forte pro stem.Andy--- In yfoil@yahoogroups.com, "Graham" <graham.watts@...> wrote:>> Guys,> > Thanks for your help in this. A quill adapter has been ordered then > it's time to go shopping for new bars and a stem. I'll just learn to > live with the forks as they are. Currently I'm planning on replacing > the exceedingly mature Ultegra 9 speed with new 10 speed (sadly I don't > think my budget will stretch to Dura Ace - £400 Ultegra vs £650 Dura > Ace).> > The bike has been great - it's met and exceeded all my hopes both in > terms of ride and looks - there's simply nothing else like it. I look > forward to many, many great rides round the rolling English countryside > in the coming months.> > Graham.>