59cm Y Foil Build

  • mitchelvictorywing
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2006
      I bought this Y Foil 77 (gold)frame and fork back in 1999 from a store
      that was closing. It was new and just hanging on a wall. It has been
      sitting in my closet since. Over the years i've added a Phil Wood
      Proprietary bottom bracket and FSA Pro Carbon cranks. The derailleurs
      are Dura Ace 10sp and shifters. Hed Aero bars. Hed 3 carbon front
      wheel and Falcon Accell 2 disc rear with Token 11-21 TI gears with M2
      Racer skewers. I'm working on AX-Lightness Orion brakes and Look Keo
      pedals. But the jury is still out on the saddle, seatpost, stem and
      possibly forks and headset (although tiso headset and Oval Concept or
      Easton EC90 fork look promissing). BTW, i'm 200lbs but there is some
      room for improvement. I'm trying to keep it as light but aero as
      possible so I am open to any suggestions.
    • mitchelvictorywing
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
        OK, I just ordered what I was told was the last Tiso Joe Magnesium 1"
        threadless headset for sale. So now my options are open for a fork.
        BTW, the sabotta looks to be an extension. Couldn't I just make one on
        a lathe out of 7075 or titanium? If so can someone give me the
        dimensions. And please send input.
      • saildave888
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
          I have an Alpha Q Aero fork and a Serotta spacer that I took off my Y-Foil that I would be
          willing to sell. I liked it fine, but I've decided to sell the Y and put the original fork back on.
          My Y is a 54, but I had quite a few headset spacers, so it may fit on your bike if you have the
          bars low. If you're interested I can measure it when I get home tonight.

          Dave

          --- In yfoil@yahoogroups.com, "mitchelvictorywing" <RaymondLanda@...> wrote:

          > OK, I just ordered what I was told was the last Tiso Joe Magnesium 1"
          > threadless headset for sale. So now my options are open for a fork.
          > BTW, the sabotta looks to be an extension. Couldn't I just make one on
          > a lathe out of 7075 or titanium? If so can someone give me the
          > dimensions. And please send input.

        • Peter Louie

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
              I just bought the Ax-Lightness Orion brakes and M2 Racer seatpost clamp so
              im going to be short on cash for a while (Ouch, it hurts). I heard that the
              price is going up 20% and production is going to be cut back so they will be
              getting harder to find. . I am also starting to lean towards either the Oval
              Concept or Easton EC90 Aero forks. But I could swing the Sabotta :-)

              Add fun gadgets and colorful themes to express yourself on Windows Live
              Spaces
              http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.get.live.com/spaces/features
            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2006
                wrote:

                > OK, I just ordered what I was told was the last Tiso Joe Magnesium 1"
                > threadless headset for sale. So now my options are open for a fork.
                > BTW, the sabotta looks to be an extension. Couldn't I just make one on
                > a lathe out of 7075 or titanium? If so can someone give me the
                > dimensions. And please send input.

                Yes, you can just make an extention. I did the same thing when I added
                an Easton SL fork to my Y-foil. It rides and handles beautifully.
                Please note though, beware of the fork rake. On the 56, with 43mm, the
                Easton SL was within range. If you are willing to become a frame
                designer, others have said the minor differences in rake don't present
                any problems.

                BTW, another posting says the Y is heavy. Mine, built up with a campy
                mix and speedplays tips the scale at 17.25. Not a featherweight, but
                not a slug either. If you had to add a suspension seatpost to a light
                bike to achieve the comfort level, it would be similar. And the Y-foil
                flys in the flats and downhills! My other 15.5 pound aluminum bike is
                twitchy and not near as comfortable!

                Just my opinion.
              • Nathan Scot Montague
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 9, 2006
                  Could you describe all the components that are on the bike to get down 17.5 lbs. I'm assuming Record derailleurs, what about cassette, wheels, saddle, etc.?

                  Jeff <shopnascar15@...> wrote: --- In yfoil@yahoogroups.com, "mitchelvictorywing" <RaymondLanda@...>

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 9, 2006
                    If you look at my original post you can see some of the components I have.
                    BTW, the falcon disc rear wheel is about 680g and Hed3c front is
                    670g(lightest, most aero wheel setup!). And I plan on lightening it by going
                    with a lighter freehub. Also, I just picked up a Corima Eclipse seatpost
                    (not the lightest but only 155g). The token Ti/Sc/Al cassette is 99g. Tiso
                    headset is 67g. Ax-Lightness Orion brakes 97g a pair. Philwood BB 124g,
                    maybe less. KMC X10SL chain. M2 racer skewer 39g. M2 racer seat clamp 8g.
                    FSA carbon pro cranks 175mm are "heavy" but they are lighter then Dura Ace
                    and I've replaced the bolts with Ti and Al bolts bringing the weight down.
                    Hed aerobars 860g. I'll be ordering Tufo elite jet(160g) for the front
                    tomorrow and Tufo HiCC Lite(215g) for the rear tomorrow. Look Keo TI pedals
                    are in the works, heavier then speedplay until you add the cleats. Other
                    then changing to Cat Cranks(im working on that to but who has a 175mm pair
                    for sale) I dont see how to go any lighter/aero. But if anyone has an idea
                    or suggestion, PLEASE let me know. :-)

                    >From: Nathan Scot Montague <nathanscotsmu@...>
                    >To: yfoil@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [yfoil] Re: 59cm Y Foil Build and Serotta Spacer comment
                    >Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 09:47:42 -0700 (PDT)
                    >
                    >Could you describe all the components that are on the bike to get down 17.5
                    >lbs. I'm assuming Record derailleurs, what about cassette, wheels, saddle,
                    >etc.?
                    >
                    >Jeff <shopnascar15@...> wrote: --- In
                    >yfoil@yahoogroups.com, "mitchelvictorywing" <RaymondLanda@...>
                    >wrote:
                    > >

                    > > OK, I just ordered what I was told was the last Tiso Joe Magnesium 1"
                    > > threadless headset for sale. So now my options are open for a fork.
                    > > BTW, the sabotta looks to be an extension. Couldn't I just make one on
                    > > a lathe out of 7075 or titanium? If so can someone give me the
                    > > dimensions. And please send input.
                    > >
                    >Yes, you can just make an extention. I did the same thing when I added
                    >an Easton SL fork to my Y-foil. It rides and handles beautifully.
                    >Please note though, beware of the fork rake. On the 56, with 43mm, the
                    >Easton SL was within range. If you are willing to become a frame
                    >designer, others have said the minor differences in rake don't present
                    >any problems.
                    >
                    >BTW, another posting says the Y is heavy. Mine, built up with a campy
                    >mix and speedplays tips the scale at 17.25. Not a featherweight, but
                    >not a slug either. If you had to add a suspension seatpost to a light
                    >bike to achieve the comfort level, it would be similar. And the Y-foil
                    >flys in the flats and downhills! My other 15.5 pound aluminum bike is
                    >twitchy and not near as comfortable!
                    >
                    >Just my opinion.

                    Be seen and heard with Windows Live Messenger and Microsoft LifeCams
                    http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/digitalcommunication/default.mspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline
                  • Emile Bremmer
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 11, 2006
                      hey duder; i really respect your set-up and way to go on getting it to
                      17.5 pounds :-S My opinion is still that the y-foil is a bit on the
                      heavy side unless you really throw ALOT of cash in it to get top of
                      the line lightweight goodies.

                      Personally i'm converting my 59 y to a time trial bike by changing the
                      front fork (not sure how much advantage that'll give me in terms of
                      seat angle though) and putting some aero wheels and time trial
                      steering on it. It's currently still a disaster in the weight
                      department though (i'm definately way up there in the 20s)

                      Any chance of seeing some photos of your rig in this group?

                      Greetz,
                      Emile

                      msn: echbremmer@...

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 11, 2006
                        The best way to lighten up a y-foil is too stop eating after 7pm, eliminate fast food from the diet, no sodas and to replace that front fork that came with it. I would not even bother with the serotta spacer. I think the bike handles better without it.

                        msn: echbremmer@hotmail. com

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 11, 2006
                          ROFL... All too true Nathan. Emile, I'm not the one with the 17.5lbs Y-Foil.
                          I'm still building mine and have no idea what its going to weigh. But the
                          parts i'm useing are top of the line, lightest. And it is costing a small
                          fortune: Phil Wood BB $270 way back when. Tiso Joe Magnesium headset $340.
                          Ax-Lightness Orion brakes $1075. FSA Pro Carbon cranks $300 way back when.
                          M2 Racer skewers $110 but the last ones I saw for sale on Ebay were over
                          $150. OK, i'll cut it short... excluding the frame and fork... over $6000
                          And the latest... I just got some Titanium axles :-) To go any lighter I
                          would have to go with non-aero wheels, non-aero bars and a round seatpost.
                          But i'm always open to suggestions

                          >From: Nathan Scot Montague <nathanscotsmu@...>
                          >To: yfoil@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: Re: [yfoil] Re: 59cm Y Foil Build and Serotta Spacer comment
                          >Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:37:21 -0700 (PDT)
                          >
                          >The best way to lighten up a y-foil is too stop eating after 7pm, eliminate
                          >fast food from the diet, no sodas and to replace that front fork that came
                          >with it. I would not even bother with the serotta spacer. I think the bike
                          >handles better without it.

                          Find a local pizza place, music store, museum and more�then map the best
                          route! http://local.live.com
                        • Emile Bremmer
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 11, 2006
                            sounds like you're going in the right direction ;-) most of the gear
                            you're using is so out of my league I never even heard of most (I
                            thought zero gravity brackes were topnotch).

                            mmmm as for bars/seatpost did you check out what "schmolke" (same
                            bunch that does the 'lightweight' wheels) is bringing out in that
                            department? considering its a somewhat conservative german bunch they
                            may not offer integrated aerobars or aero seatposts though but the
                            carbon stuff they do bring out is truly scary in terms of looks and
                            lightweightness. Another tip i'd give you is that there is a guy on
                            ebay that's selling custum chainrings for your rear shifter in carbon
                            (both campy and shimano) that weight practically nothing.

                            Are you documenting your progress with pics? I'll snap some shots as
                            soon as I have some of my parts switched out. I'm on a tighter budget
                            though so i'm sticking to an easton fork and ITM CX2 aerobar for now.
                            The latter is alu but still only an impressive 900 grams according to
                            spec. I'm switching the fork more to get a better angle in my seattube
                            and in the process also skidding some grams.

                            Greetz,
                            Emile