Y Foil Fork Question

  • motown_mets
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
      Hi fellow F-foilers!

      I have a 1999 Y Foil 77.... and I have 2 questions:

      1. Will the Frame accept a 1 1/8 inch new carbon fork?

      2. What are the benefits to having a straight versus a raked fork on
      the y foil.

      Thanks!
      --Kelley
    • Danielle Wordell
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
        the answer to your first question is that it depends on which frame you
        have. the ones made at then end of 99 didnt have a quill stem, which
        is 1 inch if thats what you have, they had a 1 1/8th fork. my 99 has
        the quill stem, and if thats what you have you have to go with a 1
        inch fork, threaded. a lot of people who have switch out the fork
        recommend the serotta heads up as well, mine has the original fork so i
        cant speak to that.

        On Feb 2, 2006, at 11:27 AM, motown_mets wrote:

        > Hi fellow F-foilers!
        >
        > I have a 1999 Y Foil 77.... and I have 2 questions:
        >
        > 1.  Will the Frame accept a 1 1/8 inch new carbon fork?
        >
        > 2.  What are the benefits to having a straight versus a raked fork on
        > the y foil.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > --Kelley
        >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > ▪  Visit your group "yfoil" on the web.

        > Service.

      • Alex Irizari via Roseville
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
          Hi, Kelley.

          Not sure about Question #1.

          With regards to Question #2: It is a common misconception that
          "straight-bladed" forks do not have rake. The shape of the fork-blades do
          not determine it's rake. Rake is defined as the "perpendicular distance
          forward from the steering axis to the center of the front hub." So, you can
          have a straight-bladed and a curved-bladed fork with exact identical rake.
          But, even with identical rake, the ride and performance could be world's
          apart. This is due to many different factors and each manufacturer's
          approach to designing and building of their respective fork. The fork's
          material, tubing diameter, and wall thickness have a much greater effect on
          the overall compliance of the fork rather than it's shape.

          I have only had experience with 2 straight-bladed forks (Wound Up and Alpha
          Q) -vs- the many curved-bladed forks I have used in my lifetime. I felt
          the straight-bladed forks rode noticably stiffer. But this is just my
          subjective opinion of 2 forks and not a general scientific evaluation of
          straight-bladed forks. I am sure there are curved-bladed forks out there
          that are just as stiff or even stiffer.

          Ride always, ride safe.
          Alex.