Considering selling 1 of my Y's

  • raam_rookie
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8 8:49 AM
      Just thought I'd take an unofficial poll of what you Y-foiler's out
      there think I might get if I were to sell one of my Y-foil's on E-
      bay.

      For those of you who don't know me I was the poor guy in the main
      page photo a while back that had the stick holding my head up on
      RAAM 2002. I got third that year and went on to win in 2003 cross
      ing the finish line on my Y. I have 4 bikes now and could use some
      cash so though I will keep one of my Y's, for future possible
      RAAM's, I was wondering what you all think a 59cm DA with alpha Q
      aero fork would go for? It's in vey good condition other than the
      normal chain suck damage and I really hate to part with it as it has
      a great deal of sentimental value as it was the bike that started my
      ultra carrer. Do you think it would have any more value as it was
      ridden by a RAAM champion? Any of you interested?

      I'd appreciate your thoughts.

      Allen Larsen
    • LA
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8 3:55 PM
        Allen,
        I can't tell you what you'll get, but the new (prospective) owner should
        know about the history of the bike and any RAAM credits that it has
        earned. It's a legacy that can be shared, it's an enhancement. Photos
        with RAAM significance should be included.

        Lon
        Sacramento
        Y-77
      • Gilberto Marquez
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 9 4:43 AM
          Dear Allen:

          I am a big fan. I even wrote you an e-mail to support you when you made the decision not to race in RAAM 04.

          My two cents in this topic: I bought through e-bay a 56cm, 1999 Y77 for about $1,200. It only included the frame, fork, some DA components and a aero-bar. For another $700 I built it locally with the new Ultegra 10 gruppo to have this beauty ready for Oregon (RAO) next June.

          Was $1,200 a fair price... a steal from the seller? Who cares, the comfort obtained riding this bike is very much worth it.  I feel no back pain even in rides up to 14 hours long.  My other option was to purchase a similar frame made in Germany (the Total Eclipse by Carbonsports.com).  The price of this frame (which does not even include the fork) is 2,600 (no, not dollars, but euros) which in dollars the price tag may reach up to $3000.

          As for the extra value, it depends on the target audience.  Unfortunately, our sport of ultra cycling is not (at least yet) part of the mainstream media. Where I live talking about riding over 200 miles is almost obscene. Besides e-bay, you may want to try the classifieds at roadbikerider.com, a site runned by Ed Pavelka and Fred Matheny.  Maybe there you may find a better audience for your purposes.

          Good luck, God bless you and your family and hope to see you in RAAM 06.

          Your friend;
          Gilberto
          raam_rookie <allen@...> wrote:

[...]

          Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!