1998 Gold Y-Foil Frame Cracked....

  • yfoiler
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
      I'm sure this has been covered many times, but what started as the
      smallest of hairline cracks around the lower mainstay (about even
      with the outside of the large chainring) has gotten worse.
      It used to be nearly invisible and you couldn't feel it.
      Now it's quite visible and easily felt.
      The crack doesn't go all the way around the tube yet.
      The bike has never been crashed so this must be from fatique or the
      frame flexing in this area. There are about 5,000 miles on the
      frame to date.

      Any ideas on what to do?
      Has anyone had any results either good or bad by contacting Trek?

      Thanks in advance for any input.

      Marty
    • richard.schulze@us.kontron.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004

        Recently I went on the Solvang Century with mine. On a rough down hill I just kept it cranked up while other slowed due to the rough road and the y-foil was sucking up the shock so well. In the following days I noticed the exact same crack on my frame. I brought it to a Trek store and they took some digital pictures and sent it back to Trek. They came back and said it was just paint BUT they also said that if it gets to the point where I could bring it in and show the crack getting wider, I could get the frame warrantied. The mechanic clarified and stated that if I brought the bike in, sat on it and bounced a bit and he could see the crack widen under load, they would honor the warranty.

        So now I have to wait for mine to get a bit worse.

        Rick Schulze
        Director of Information Technology
        Director of Global Internet Services
        voice: 858.677.0877
        email: richard.schulze@...
        web: www.kontron.com

        "We create digital brains for a more intelligent world."

        "yfoiler" <yfoiler@...>

        04/01/2004 06:23 AM

        Please respond to
        yfoil@yahoogroups.com

        yfoil@yahoogroups.com
        cc
        Subject
        [yfoil] 1998 Gold Y-Foil Frame Cracked....

        I'm sure this has been covered many times, but what started as the
        smallest of hairline cracks around the lower mainstay (about even
        with the outside of the large chainring) has gotten worse.
        It used to be nearly invisible and you couldn't feel it.
        Now it's quite visible and easily felt.
        The crack doesn't go all the way around the tube yet.
        The bike has never been crashed so this must be from fatique or the
        frame flexing in this area.  There are about 5,000 miles on the
        frame to date.

        Any ideas on what to do?
        Has anyone had any results either good or bad by contacting Trek?

        Thanks in advance for any input.

        Marty

        Yahoo! Groups LinksForwardSourceID:NT00027B46
      • Harry Varnas
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
          Hi Marty
          Its perfectly normal for the bike. I've never seen a y at a triathalon or
          club ride that dosen't have the crack. I believe its more of the joint
          where the frame goes into the metal bottom tube/bb area.

          Dont worry unless the crack starts getting bigger. Then take it to a shop
          for evaluation.
          Its a concern new y owners have.

          Harry

          >I'm sure this has been covered many times, but what started as the
          >smallest of hairline cracks around the lower mainstay (about even
          >with the outside of the large chainring) has gotten worse.
          >It used to be nearly invisible and you couldn't feel it.
          >Now it's quite visible and easily felt.
          >The crack doesn't go all the way around the tube yet.

        • Milandin, Erin
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
            Message
            This happened to my gold, too.  I spoke with a reputable local Trek dealership at the time and they checked with Trek and assured me there was a joint there and that the normal flexing caused it.  I recently bought another Y-Foil from a Trek sales rep that lives near me and I mentioned it to him.  He reiterated the earlier prognosis, saying that was typical, and that it's just the paint, and that nowadays Trek has changed their paint formula slightly so as to make it able to flex a little more without cracking.

            I'd say that as long as it's not making noise or doing anything else scary, don't worry about it.  I've crashed the hell out of my gold and concluded that the frame is FAR tougher than me, though I did fare better than the stock fork...

            Good luck!

            -Erin

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
              I had notice a crack in mine a year ago and took it to
              my local trek dealer,actually I have a photo of it
              right in front of me in my office.
              there is apparently a seam in fabrication at that
              location,and that is what I was seeing.
              But if your's is open and moving I would not ride it.
              Take it to your trek dealer.
              I think it has a life time warrenty
              Good luck
              John Ordway

              --- yfoiler <yfoiler@...> wrote:
              > I'm sure this has been covered many times, but what
              > started as the
              > smallest of hairline cracks around the lower
              > mainstay (about even
              > with the outside of the large chainring) has gotten
              > worse.
              > It used to be nearly invisible and you couldn't feel
              > it.
              > Now it's quite visible and easily felt.
              > The crack doesn't go all the way around the tube
              > yet.
              > The bike has never been crashed so this must be from
              > fatique or the
              > frame flexing in this area. There are about 5,000
              > miles on the
              > frame to date.
              >
              > Any ideas on what to do?
              > Has anyone had any results either good or bad by
              > contacting Trek?
              >
              > Thanks in advance for any input.
              >
              > Marty

            • Rick Warner
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
                At 10:45 AM 4/1/2004, John Ordway wrote:
                I had notice a crack in mine a year ago and took it to
                my local trek dealer,actually I have a photo of it
                right in front of me in my office.
                there is apparently a seam in fabrication at that
                location,and that is what I was seeing.
                But if your's is open and moving I would not ride it.
                Take it to your trek dealer.
                I think it has a life time warrenty

                If there was a group FAQ then this crack should be one
                of the first items covered.  Seems to come up regularly.
                The frame is fab'ed in pieces, and this is one of the
                joints.  My Y66 has had an indication (hairline 'crack')
                since I got it.  Just need to keep an eye on it and make
                sure it does not become more than a crack in the paint.

                I can tell you a couple of things about Trek and warranty
                from other experience.  First, they are conservative; if they
                think that there is the slightest problem that could become
                an issue (failure for you, lawsuit for them) then they ask the
                LBS to take the bike and not let you ride it until they can
                fix the issue.  Had this happen on a steel frame with an
                incomplete weld; bike owner was told to 'impound' the bike
                and send it to Wisconsin ASAP (Trek even paid for air freight).
                Second is, Y-Foil frames are reportedly in short supply at
                Trek.  From knowing what they have done on warranty other
                discontinued frames the modus operandi seems to be fix if possible,
                if not then the replacement may be an 'equivalent' frame.  I
                suspect at some point a return of a Y66/Y77 may trigger a replacement
                with a 5200 frame/fork.  Forcing a warranty issue to get a new
                Y-Foil frame may not get someone what they want ;-)

                - rick
              • Anthony Bucher
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
                  Ok, I have a question if a person needs finds out that they do have a crack.
                  And that would be for people who have bought theirs used, i.e. we don't have
                  the
                  original reciept or warranty papers. Will they honour their lifetime
                  warranty or
                  tell us second-hand owners "No dice"?

                  Thanks for any info.
                  tony

                  ps - think i'll post a pix of mine now :)
                  >If there was a group FAQ then this crack should be one
                  >of the first items covered. Seems to come up regularly.
                  >The frame is fab'ed in pieces, and this is one of the
                  >joints. My Y66 has had an indication (hairline 'crack')
                  >since I got it. Just need to keep an eye on it and make
                  >sure it does not become more than a crack in the paint.
                  >
                  >I can tell you a couple of things about Trek and warranty
                  >from other experience. First, they are conservative; if they
                  >think that there is the slightest problem that could become
                  >an issue (failure for you, lawsuit for them) then they ask the
                  >LBS to take the bike and not let you ride it until they can
                  >fix the issue. Had this happen on a steel frame with an
                  >incomplete weld; bike owner was told to 'impound' the bike
                  >and send it to Wisconsin ASAP (Trek even paid for air freight).
                  >Second is, Y-Foil frames are reportedly in short supply at
                  >Trek. From knowing what they have done on warranty other
                  >discontinued frames the modus operandi seems to be fix if possible,
                  >if not then the replacement may be an 'equivalent' frame. I
                  >suspect at some point a return of a Y66/Y77 may trigger a replacement
                  >with a 5200 frame/fork. Forcing a warranty issue to get a new
                  >Y-Foil frame may not get someone what they want ;-)
                  >
                  >- rick

                  All the action. All the drama. Get NCAA hoops coverage at MSN Sports by
                  ESPN. http://msn.espn.go.com/index.html?partnersite=espn
                • Rick Warner
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
                    At 04:13 PM 4/1/2004, Anthony Bucher wrote:
                    Ok, I have a question if a person needs finds out that they do have a crack.
                    And that would be for people who have bought theirs used, i.e. we don't have
                    the
                    original reciept or warranty papers.  Will they honour their lifetime
                    warranty or
                    tell us second-hand owners "No dice"?

                    Technically, the warranty is just to the original purchaser.  The basic language in the warranty
                    is similar to (the 2004 version):

                    The Trek Bicycle Corporation warrants each new Trek, Klein, Fisher,
                    or LeMond bicycle frame and rigid fork against defects in
                    workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the original owner.

                    In practice, they do not always check.  But beware they can refuse warranty service
                    to any owner other than the original.

                    - rick
                  • Jan Isley
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
                      At 07:30 PM 4/1/2004, you wrote:
                      >At 04:13 PM 4/1/2004, Anthony Bucher wrote:
                      >>Will they honour their lifetime warranty or
                      >>tell us second-hand owners "No dice"?

                      >In practice, they do not always check. But beware they can refuse
                      >warranty service
                      >to any owner other than the original.

                      Indeed. It may come down to whether or not you have an excellent
                      relationship with a similarly excellent Trek LBS. If not, expect "no dice".

                      regards,
                      -- Jan (make me an offer I cannot refuse for new 56cm frame/fork)
                    • Rick Warner
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
                        At 04:40 PM 4/1/2004, Jan Isley wrote:

                        >In practice, they do not always check.  But beware they can refuse
                        >warranty service
                        >to any owner other than the original.

                        Indeed.  It may come down to whether or not you have an excellent
                        relationship with a similarly excellent Trek LBS.  If not, expect "no dice".

                        For better or worse Trek is really oriented towards working through
                        their dealers.  As you point out, having a good relationship with a
                        Trek dealer is the key to success in any dealings with Trek.   For
                        those not working with a Trek dealer already, a good strategy might be
                        to make yourself known ;-)

                        - rick