Re: [yfoil] Y-Foil 77 Fork

  • holtedsgn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
      Mike,
      Is there a difference in the rake or tube length between a stock 52 cm or 56
      cm fork?
      The specs for the rake between the two bikes are listed as 72.5 for 52 cm /
      73.5 for 56 cm.
      Im thinking thats only frame geometry and the forks are all the same?

      Anyone else able to confirm this?

      The threaded tube section(from where the paint ends) on my fork is 150 mm.
      My old fork was damaged and Trek could only come up with a Y-66 blue which
      clashes a bit and id rather have the original Y-77 Lighter blue. I even miss
      the
      loud decals.

      So, I am interested- thanks mike.

      Ps - if anyone needs the y-66 blue fork(56 cm) in excellent condition, let me
      know.

      Darin
    • Mike Arnold

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003

          Not exactly true.  The angle is not the issue, it is how far forward the axle will sit, and a
          complicated subject called trail.  What you call 'curved' forks can have different rakes, i.e., the
          amount of forward curve can be different.  With the Y-Foils, frames 54 cm and smaller have one
          rake, those 56 and up have a different rake (fork sweeps further forward).  There can be two
          issues with putting a fork from a short Y on a taller Y Foil.  First, the rake difference will
          affect handling; the shorter rake on the fork from short bikes will make the steering a bit 'twitchier'.
          The second issue is the steerer may be too short, esp. as you get to the really tall frames.
          The head tube length is not the same, so a cut, threaded steerer from a short bike will almost
          certainly not fit a large frame.

          - rick

          At 08:22 AM 10/1/2003 -0700, Mike Arnold wrote:
          Well you hit an interesting subject? so I did some home work(bike are not my field) but I took two different forks from two different bikes and the bike ended up having the same measurements until I put a straight edge fork(like on the trek TT) then it changed by an inch inward. I called a local store they said as long as you put a curved fork if it has a curve or straight fork if it came with a straight and they are the same size (650 or 700) the bike should not change angles since the fork and the frame head work inconjunction with each other, more so the frame head then the fork(it is the same on mountain bikes and motorcycles) I"ll take $120 + S&H and end auction early if your interested in the fork ( that is a deal compared to the $1000.00 price tags on the framesets if you find one.)
        • David Pyle
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
            I don't know about tube length, but Trek lists the forks for 54cm and under
            as having a rake of 47mm, while the larger ones have a rake of 43mm. 72.5
            and 73.5 are the head tube angles.

            > From: holtedsgn@...
            > Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 03:37:51 EDT
            > To: yfoil@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [yfoil] Y-Foil 77 Fork
            >
            > Mike,
            > Is there a difference in the rake or tube length between a stock 52 cm or 56
            > cm fork?
            > The specs for the rake between the two bikes are listed as 72.5 for 52 cm /
            > 73.5 for 56 cm.
            > Im thinking thats only frame geometry and the forks are all the same?
            >
            > Anyone else able to confirm this?
            >
            > The threaded tube section(from where the paint ends) on my fork is 150 mm.
            > My old fork was damaged and Trek could only come up with a Y-66 blue which
            > clashes a bit and id rather have the original Y-77 Lighter blue. I even miss
            > the
            > loud decals.
            >
            > So, I am interested- thanks mike.
            >
            > Ps - if anyone needs the y-66 blue fork(56 cm) in excellent condition, let me
            > know.
            >
            > Darin
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          • Mike Arnold

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
                Rick and dave, thanks for the info on fork rakes. The Y was engineered so
                well, ill stay with the original geometry.

                Mike, that means ill wait for the longer rake fork.

                I might as well ask- If somebody has switched to the "heads up" and has a
                Y-77 blue fork
                available to sell(56 cm and up), please let me know.

                Thanks, Darin