Telegraph claims Terry Fenwick has applied

  • Ciderspace
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 1999
      Today's Daily Telegraph claims that Terry Fenwick is
      after the job at Yeovil Town. They mention him fairly
      obliquely at the end of an article where they are
      predicting a Chapple / Lippiatt reunion. Looks like
      they've been reading Ciderspace!!

      One Newspaper that has DEFINITELY been reading
      Ciderspace is the national paper The Independent. In
      their weekly non-league notebook they do a feature on
      the weeks events around Huish Park and fill the
      article with lots of quotes.

      Now I can cope with the idea of them requoting stuff
      that is taken from Official Press Releases, but a
      couple of their quotes are actually taken from
      personal conversations we've had with the club and CL
      which we've later transcribed for Ciderspace. It all
      seems a little bit coincidental!!

      How long before the Independent starts running Huge
      Huish Hugh articles for their weekly Conference
      Round-Up ? ;-)

      Anyway, I digress, we've updated the news page with
      what was a VERY brief comment relating to Terry
      Fenwick and also added in a few more quotations from
      John Fry, most of which you've seen on the Ciderspace
      mailing list already.

      =====
      --
      Ciderspace - The Unofficial Yeovil Town Fanzine
      e-mail : mailto:ytfcciderspace@...
        > Today's Daily Telegraph claims that Terry Fenwick is
        > after the job at Yeovil Town.

        Oh please, no. He did a bloody awful job at Portsmouth and the last thing we
        need is a so-called big name manager who hasn't a clue about the Conference.
        Names like Brian Talbot, Jan Mjolby, Paul Futcher and John McGovern spring
        to mind. Besides, I'd have thought the board had had their fill of ex-Spurs
        players...

        > How long before the Independent starts running Huge
        > Huish Hugh articles for their weekly Conference
        > Round-Up ? ;-)

        They could do a lot worse... Have you got an agent, Hugh? :-)

        Cheers,
        Jon
        --
        Ciderspace - The Unofficial Yeovil Town FC Online Fanzine
        http://www.dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/way/yit84/
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 1999
          > Oh please, no. He did a bloody awful job at
          > Portsmouth and the last thing we
          > need is a so-called big name manager who hasn't a
          > clue about the Conference.
          > Names like Brian Talbot, Jan Mjolby, Paul Futcher
          > and John McGovern spring
          > to mind.

          I tend to agree. Although there are people who break
          that mould like Martin O'Neill and Sammy MacIlroy,
          they were brand new to management and so were unknown
          quantities.

          However, the likes of Brian Talbot and John McGovern
          had already failed at their old clubs in the league
          and had merely dropped down a couple of levels to try
          and re-establish themselves. Rather like what Terry
          Fenwick is trying to do ......

          I'd much rather have either an ex-top-pro who is brand
          new to management but local to the area (e.g. Gary
          Mabbutt - although he's ex-Spurs as well!!) or a
          current non-leaguer who is known well in the
          Conference - i.e. Steve Thompson, Dave Norton, Kevan
          Brown.

          Let's face it, if Terry Fenwick couldn't do a job at
          Portsmouth, where he knew that standard of play and
          that standard of player pretty well, how is he going
          to cope in a league where he probably doesn't even
          know who Carl Alford and Warren Patmore are, let alone
          what sort of players they are.

          > > How long before the Independent starts running
          > > Huge
          > > Huish Hugh articles for their weekly Conference
          > > Round-Up ? ;-)

          Actually, there's a very funny story about HHH's
          articles, which I shall tell the list, but not until
          Sunday ......

          Badger.
          martin.baker@...

          =====
          --
          Ciderspace - The Unofficial Yeovil Town FC Online Fanzine
          http://www.dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/way/yit84/
          --
        • Colin Turner
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 1999
            > I'd much rather have either an ex-top-pro who is brand
            > new to management but local to the area (e.g. Gary
            > Mabbutt - although he's ex-Spurs as well

            Wasn't his name banded about when Roberts got the heave-ho?

            CT
          • Hugh Gleave
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 1999
              > > I'd much rather have either an ex-top-pro who is brand
              > > new to management but local to the area (e.g. Gary
              > > Mabbutt - although he's ex-Spurs as well
              >
              > Wasn't his name banded about when Roberts got the heave-ho?

              Rumour has it there were some "unofficial" discussions but the price was too
              high.

              HHH
            • Hugh Gleave
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 1999
                > > > How long before the Independent starts running
                > > > Huge
                > > > Huish Hugh articles for their weekly Conference
                > > > Round-Up ? ;-)

                They're queuing up you know :-). Syndication deals are in the offing!

                > Actually, there's a very funny story about HHH's
                > articles, which I shall tell the list, but not until
                > Sunday ......

                Don't you just love it when people say things like that........

                HHH
              • Jon Morgan
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 1999
                  > From: "Hugh Gleave" <hugh@...>

                  > > Actually, there's a very funny story about HHH's
                  > > articles, which I shall tell the list, but not until
                  > > Sunday ......
                  >
                  > Don't you just love it when people say things like that........

                  No, it's bloody annoying isn't it! Come on Badger, spill the beans...

                  Jon