Today's Daily Telegraph

  • wheeler.woodhouse
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2000
      From the Daily Telegraph - Friday 1st September (b***** hell - summer's officially over!)

      KING'S NOMADS HAPPY TO TRAVEL

      One of football's little ironies this season is currently being supplied by Telford United, whose unbeaten start happens to have coincided with a two-month period in which they cannot play at home.

      While the Bucks Head is undergoing a £9.5 million renovation, Telford are playing their home ties on Worcester City's ground. No matter. The Shropshire club have made light of the journey that can taqke 90 minutes to occupy second place in the League.

      In tomorrow's six-pointer, Telforsd receive Rushden & Diamonds, whose 100 per cent record after four games in the Nationwide Conference has greatly impressed Jake King.

      Telford's manager, who saw the Diamonds beat Hednesford 3-2, has his glowing opinion of them confirmed by a member of the Southport team humbled 4-0 on Monday.

      "Diamonds could have had five or six in the match against Hednesford and I heard that it could have been 10 against Southport," said King.

      My reaction: so they didn't get as many against Hednesford as us (maybe they had a worse referee!) and got the same result against Southport as us - not.

      As we're not due to play Telford away until next April, I presume we'll be missing the delights of Worcester and tackling the M54 via Brum.

      Cheers all,

      Jonathan Wheeler
      Wheeler Woodhouse
      21 Elmfield Avenue