WG - Hundreds view club's plans to build store at Huish Park

  • Mike O'Reilly
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2011
      http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Hundreds-view-club-s-plans-build-store-Huish-Park/story-14009490-detail/story.html

      Hundreds view club's plans to build store at Huish Park
      Thursday, December 01, 2011

      MORE than 200 people visited Huish Park at the weekend to view Yeovil
      Town's plans for a supermarket at the ground.

      The Glovers hope to build a 70,000sq ft store on land currently used as
      training pitches behind the Copse Road End terrace. Revenue from the
      project will then fund a proposal to build a new all-seater stand.

      District, town and parish councillors joined residents, football
      supporters and businesses at the three day exhibition held in the Alec
      Stock Lounge.

      Glovers' chairman John Fry described feedback as "encouraging", vowing
      to keep the public up to date with any revisions to the proposals
      throughout the planning process.

      He said: "On the whole, the feedback we received throughout the
      exhibition was extremely encouraging.

      "Residents were able to share their comments during the event and we
      have taken these on board.

      "The food store development has the potential to provide the club with a
      very exciting future as well as meeting a need within Yeovil for
      additional food retail space and - more importantly - substantial job
      creation.

      "The club is an important economic driver in the South West. We are
      embarking on this project to ensure that the club has the resources and
      facilities on site to continue to compete effectively in the Football
      League."

      Fry revealed that the club had received interest in the store from a
      mystery supermarket, with the development expected to create in the
      region of 300 jobs.

      FOR more on the exhibition see Page 11.