Rushden transfer news

  • huish.hugh
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2004
      Diamonds still waiting

      TECHNICAL director Stewart Robson is expecting Rushden & Diamonds to strengthen their squad again
      early next week. He revealed today that they are still waiting for answers from three players who
      have already been offered deals plus six more transfer targets following "preliminary talks".

      Robson and manager Ernie Tippett now want to sign two defenders from second division clubs – a
      centre-half and right-back – plus a Division One striker who is understood to be Wimbledon's Wayne
      Gray. Last week Diamonds brought in former Dons duo Rob Gier and Peter Hawkins, Bury centre-forward
      Gareth Seddon and Tranmere Rovers winger Alex Hay under the Bosman ruling for out-of-contract
      players.

      Robson said: "At the moment we are still in contact with quite a few players. We have made some
      offers but are waiting for replies. It has been a frustrating time because players are now going on
      holidays. But we are still very hopeful of making some signings early next week. I don't think
      anything will happen over the coming days. We are looking to strengthen the side in different
      positions. Some players have accepted offers, some have turned us down and we are talking to others.
      It's a difficult time for us as we would like to get all the players in before we start pre-season
      training at the end of this month. However players like to leave their options open for as long as
      possible. We are trying to get them to make early decisions."

      An official announcement over the take-over deal between Max Griggs and three London-based
      businessmen is likely to be made later this week. Acting chief executive David Suddens was involved
      in further meetings yesterday after the provisional completion date of May 31 passed by without any
      updates. A statement is now expected by tomorrow.

      [Northampton Chronicle & Echo]

      Regards, HHH.

      ---