Re: Almost interesting

  • Badger
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 1999
      > I notice Cheltenham's attendances for league matches are up by 1575 from
      > 2454 to 4029 for the same period last year. Would this be an increase in
      > their fan base due to league status or a larger proportion of away fans?

      Bit of both I would have thought. For the first part, a lot of people regard
      non-league football as "inferior" but would be attracted if we were in Division
      Three. Secondly, I'd say that probably half of our away side fans bring down 50 or
      less supporters. That would on the whole change I think as we come up against more
      genuinely well supported clubs.

      > Also does anyone know whether the Weymouth fans were kept back at all last
      > night as we didn't hang around to see .

      No, they were let out immediately, and that may well be an error of judgement, given
      what appears to have happened to numerous Weymouth supporters on their way out. I
      know it's happened many times before, but you hoped that we were going to get through
      those two games without any trouble once the first one had passed over peacefully -
      despite the press hype.

      Badger.
      martin.baker@...
      --------