70789WG - Ex-Arsenal youngster Angharad James insists Yeovil Town can compete at the top level

  • Mike O'Reilly
    May 19, 2017
      http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/angharad-james-yeovil-town-ladies-68381?service=responsive

      Ex-Arsenal youngster Angharad James insists Yeovil Town can compete at
      the top level
      18:37, 19 MAY 2017 UPDATED 18:39, 19 MAY 2017

      The Wales international made her Yeovil debut in the 1-0 loss to Reading
      on Wednesday

      BY STEPHEN D'ALBIAC

      Angharad James has only been a Yeovil Town Ladies player for a matter of
      days, but she already feels that she has joined a club with the
      potential to establish themselves among the elite.

      James joined the Lady Glovers after the collapse of Notts County left
      her without a club and she made her Yeovil debut on Wednesday, playing
      90 minutes in the narrow 1-0 defeat to Reading.

      The 22-year-old midfielder is enjoying life back in the top flight,
      thanks in no small part to the presence of several fellow Wales
      internationals and former Notts County teammate Megan Walsh in the
      Yeovil dressing room.

      James said: “It’s been like coming into a team that I’ve been at for a
      while. I know all the girls and they’re lovely, very welcoming.

      “The commitment in this team and the work ethic is indescribable and
      it’s a nice environment to come into.

      “It was important for me to get a team. Luckily for me Yeovil were
      interested and Jamie’s been a great help for me. It was a difficult
      period going from everything that happened at Notts County but he’s made
      it so much easier, the girls have been so welcoming and the goal is get
      to just as many points as we can now from these last three games.

      “When you know your mate next to you is going to play with you and put
      that tackle in next to you, that’s exactly what we did against Reading
      and if we can play like that and start games like that, we’re definitely
      going to compete.”

      Although there is frustration in the Yeovil camp at how the Reading game
      unfolded, especially the manner in which their slow start to the game
      allowed Mandy van den Berg to tap home what proved the winner in the
      eighth minute, there is a steely determination among the squad to prove
      that they belong in the top flight.

      The FA WSL1 Spring Series table may show that the Lady Glovers are
      without a point from five matches, but their league position must be
      tempered by the enormity of the leap forward they have taken under Jamie
      Sherwood.

      A testing campaign promises to get even tougher on Sunday when Yeovil
      travel to reigning league and FA Cup holders Manchester City, but it is
      a task that James and her teammates are relishing.

      She added: “They are on fire at the moment and with the FA Cup game they
      did very well, so they’ll have a spring in their step and they’ll be
      looking to win by a few.

      “But it was the same against Reading. I think they thought they were
      going to come here and win by a few and it was going to be a comfortable
      game and we showed him it’s not.

      “This league is very tight. People can pick up points everywhere, so
      it’s just a matter of identifying ourselves and getting points on the board.

      “The Spring Series doesn’t mean much but it’s good to get a good level
      that we can compete at ready for the winter league, and we’re looking
      forward to the next few games.”

      Sherwood aiming to finish Spring Series with a win

      A Spring Series win for Yeovil Town Ladies will act as a perfect tonic
      heading into their first full campaign as a top flight club, says
      manager Jamie Sherwood.

      Sherwood is adamant that his side are not far from being able to compete
      at WSL1 level after they were narrowly beaten by Reading on Wednesday.

      Yeovil face Manchester City, Sunderland and Birmingham City in their
      final three matches of the mini-series.

      Sherwood said: “Winning games gives you confidence, gives you belief,
      gives you that opportunity to maybe be on the front foot more, and
      that’s what we want to be doing.

      “That’s what we’re used to doing and that’s the mentality that we’ve had
      to change this year. We’ll continue to keep pushing, we’ll continue to
      get there and what a fantastic opportunity coming up against Man City.
      We’ll go there full of confidence after a good 70 minutes against Reading.

      “You want to be up against the best at all times and this is what this
      club has strived to do. Over the last five years, it's strived to be the
      best it can be and over the last three or four years we’ve really pushed
      it on and we are among the best and we deserve to be there.

      “The players still need to believe that they deserve to be here and when
      they do, I really do believe the sky’s the limit for this football club.”

      Despite the tough introduction to top flight football, Sherwood insists
      the last five matches have been the perfect way for his side to adapt
      without the fear of relegation.

      He added: “We couldn’t have booked a better pre-season.

      “We’re now in a position where we’re challenging ourselves, we’re
      challenging other teams, we’ve challenged Reading and we’ve continued to
      do it.

      “We’ve continued to keep that learning process going and we’re making
      sure that we’re ready to go in the winter. It’s a fantastic opportunity
      to give ourselves that learning.”