Witt series - Leventhal Lecture - Jonathan Foer, etc.

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 12, 2010

      The Wittenberg Series calendar is now up on the Witt website
      (http://www4.wittenberg.edu/news/series/10-11/index.html)

      The Leventhal lecture is always a great event - this year the speaker is Jonathan Foer. ALL WITTENBERG SERIES EVENTS are FREE and open to all - so, please don't miss out on these great offerings. If you need directions, etc., let me know. The Pam Evans is in the HPER Center (where it has been held in the past) and the Ness Family Auditorium is in Hollenbeck Hall. People are welcome to participate in either or both.

      Details:

      Fred R. Leventhal Family Endowed Lecture: Sept. 23, 2010, 7:30 p.m. Pam Evans-Smith Arena.
      Jonathan Safran Foer, author (fiction : Everything is Illuminated and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close; non-fiction: Eating Animals.) English Dept. Colloquium, 4 p.m., Ness Family Auditorium.

      Also coming up in November:

      Nov. 30, 2010

      Claudia Koonz, Ph.D, Historian
      The William A. Kinnison Endowed Lecture
      Bayley Auditorium, 7:30 p.m.

      A professor of history at Duke University, Claudia Koonz is the author of Mothers in Fatherland and The Nazi Conscience, both of which examine how ordinary, decent people become mobilized for dangerous, even criminal, collective aims. She will discuss her current research, what the reactions to the Muslim headscarf reveal about national identity in Germany, France and Britain.

      And, as always, there is music, dance, science lectures...Martin Luther King, Jr. speaker this year is Cleveland Sellers... take a look at the website and mark your calendars!

      Suzanne
    • randi rothman
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13, 2010
        Is this lecture really scheduled on a Jewish holiday (Sukkot)????!!!!!

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 13, 2010

          Yes – I’ve already sent a message to the organizer. He had contacted me about a date on Passover (which I told him would be bad), so he rescheduled that one. He didn’t mention this date – so, I think he knew Passover but not Sukkot.

          It’s pretty embarrassing for Wittenberg, I think.

          Suzanne

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 13, 2010
            very not okay. There will be a lot of unhappy people in the larger Dayton jewish community; many of them attend this event faithfully. Can they say oops and change the date :)? And what's up with jonathan safran foer?? Maybe we can invite him to eat a meal with the havurah in our sukkah??! :)

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 13, 2010

              The reply I received from the organizer was that they cleared it with the Leventhal family.

              I am having an ongoing conversation with him why it still wasn’t a good thing to do.

              Also, I asked about the possibility of inviting Foer for a meal in the Sukkah.

              Shabbat shalom,

              Suzanne

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 13, 2010
                One more thing for the record - from the Witt organizer:

                "In the Leventhal’s defense, we were truly restricted by the dates of Foer’s availability and other events in the college calendar.  I wish you had shared that as well."

                He also said to give him more details about a meal in the Sukkah, so I will be emailing you all after Shabbat.

                In the meantime - Shabbat shalom!

                Suzanne

                Suzanne Smailes Thomas Library Wittenberg University

                From: "Suzanne A. Smailes" <ssmailes@...>
                Sender: "yellowspringshavurah@yahoogroups.com" <yellowspringshavurah@yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:05:05 -0400
                To: yellowspringshavurah@yahoogroups.com<yellowspringshavurah@yahoogroups.com>