RE: [yellowspringshavurah] blessings over the sun EVENT!

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8, 2009

      Sorry I missed you this morning – the sun seems particularly strong today, too – WYSO announced a sun-glare warning!

      Suzanne

      From: Jay Rothman <jrothman@...>
      To: yellowspringshavurah@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2009, 11:46 AM

      All, as i read about bircat hahamah events around the world, i note it is really
      to be a collective, communal event. how about meeting together at the golf
      course wednesday (tomorrow) at 8 am (followed by coffee in our home)?

      or better, come to our home (1050 East Herman St). at 7:55 and we'll walk
      out to the field and say the short blessing together?!

      hope to see many of you bright (i hope) and early.

      shalom, jay

      On Apr 7, 2009, at 8:47 AM, Jay Rothman wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > On  wednesday, from sunrise to 3 hours later, we are blessed with the
      opportunity to acknowledge the blessings of the sun. here is a brief description
      of the observance that rabbi elisha wolfin (from zichron yaacov) sent. Enjoy!
      Jay

      > "The Talmud teaches us that every 28 years the sun returns to its
      original
      > setting, which was set on the fourth day of creation. 28 years have
      passed,
      > and this Wednesday it will happen again!!! Many Jews throughout the world
      > will be holding special services to commemorate this event. You can do it
      > too! When you first see the sun this coming Wednesday, you may want to
      utter
      > the following blessing: Baruch Ata HaShem, Eloheinu Melekh HaOlam, Osseh
      > Ma'asei Bereshit (Blessed are you HaShem, sovereign of the universe,
      who
      > does the deeds of Creation). Remember: you are not blessing the sun, you
      are
      > blessing its Creator. It is an opportunity to recognize that unlike other
      > sources of energy, the sun is generous, it never changes its prices
      (always
      > free), it will NEVER boycott Israel… and it is clean."

      Jay Rothman
      President
      The ARIA Group
      and Distinguished Visiting Professor