blessings over the sun EVENT!

  • Jay Rothman
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 7 8:46 AM
      All, as i read about bircat hahamah events around the world, i note it
      is really to be a collective, communal event. how about meeting
      together at the golf course wednesday (tomorrow) at 8 am (followed by
      coffee in our home)?

      or better, come to our home (1050 East Herman St). at 7:55 and we'll
      walk out to the field and say the short blessing together?!

      hope to see many of you bright (i hope) and early.

      shalom, jay

      On Apr 7, 2009, at 8:47 AM, Jay Rothman wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > On wednesday, from sunrise to 3 hours later, we are blessed with the
      > opportunity to acknowledge the blessings of the sun. here is a brief
      > description of the observance that rabbi elisha wolfin (from zichron
      > yaacov) sent. Enjoy! Jay
      >
      > "The Talmud teaches us that every 28 years the sun returns to its
      > original
      > setting, which was set on the fourth day of creation. 28 years have
      > passed,
      > and this Wednesday it will happen again!!! Many Jews throughout the
      > world
      > will be holding special services to commemorate this event. You can do
      > it
      > too! When you first see the sun this coming Wednesday, you may want to
      > utter
      > the following blessing: Baruch Ata HaShem, Eloheinu Melekh HaOlam,
      > Osseh
      > Ma'asei Bereshit (Blessed are you HaShem, sovereign of the universe,
      > who
      > does the deeds of Creation). Remember: you are not blessing the sun,
      > you are
      > blessing its Creator. It is an opportunity to recognize that unlike
      > other
      > sources of energy, the sun is generous, it never changes its prices
      > (always
      > free), it will NEVER boycott Israel… and it is clean."

      Jay Rothman
      President
      The ARIA Group
      and Distinguished Visiting Professor
      The University of Cincinnati
      www.ariagroup.com
      cell - 937-580.5102
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 7 9:17 AM

        I could make it for the blessing, but then would need to leave right away for work!

        Suzanne

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 8 4:47 AM
          The kids studied this in Hebrew/Sunday School recently--we can't join you this morning, but plan to go out, look at the sun, and say the blessing.  What a wonderful thing!

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 8 5:42 AM

            Sorry I missed you this morning – the sun seems particularly strong today, too – WYSO announced a sun-glare warning!

            Suzanne