blessings over the sun

  • Jay Rothman
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 7 5:47 AM
      Hi All,

      On wednesday, from sunrise to 3 hours later, we are blessed with the
      opportunity to acknowledge the blessings of the sun. here is a brief
      description of the observance that rabbi elisha wolfin (from zichron
      yaacov) sent. Enjoy! Jay

      "The Talmud teaches us that every 28 years the sun returns to its
      original
      setting, which was set on the fourth day of creation. 28 years have
      passed,
      and this Wednesday it will happen again!!! Many Jews throughout the
      world
      will be holding special services to commemorate this event. You can do
      it
      too! When you first see the sun this coming Wednesday, you may want to
      utter
      the following blessing: Baruch Ata HaShem, Eloheinu Melekh HaOlam, Osseh
      Ma'asei Bereshit (Blessed are you HaShem, sovereign of the universe, who
      does the deeds of Creation). Remember: you are not blessing the sun,
      you are
      blessing its Creator. It is an opportunity to recognize that unlike
      other
      sources of energy, the sun is generous, it never changes its prices
      (always
      free), it will NEVER boycott Israel… and it is clean."
    • Johanna Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 7 7:43 AM
        If that the stairs or transportation is a problem, we would be happy to host anyone who needs a seder to attend.  I usually put this in the YS News but didn't get to it this year.  We're a smaller group than usual this year so negotiating our house will be easier.  We do have 3 steps up into our house, but other than that everything is on the first floor.  Somehow I missed the initial request.   If this is better, please let me know.

        Johanna
        767-2311
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 7 8:04 AM

          I’m still waiting to hear back from Todd Sheets, the activities coordinator at the Friends. I don’t have a direct number (he wouldn’t give it to me, which is ok, I understand) for her, and only a first name.

          I will let him and hopefully her know the options, and let you all know.

          Thanks again, all-

          Suzanne

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 7 8:46 AM
            All, as i read about bircat hahamah events around the world, i note it
            is really to be a collective, communal event. how about meeting
            together at the golf course wednesday (tomorrow) at 8 am (followed by
            coffee in our home)?

            or better, come to our home (1050 East Herman St). at 7:55 and we'll
            walk out to the field and say the short blessing together?!

            hope to see many of you bright (i hope) and early.

            shalom, jay

            On Apr 7, 2009, at 8:47 AM, Jay Rothman wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > On wednesday, from sunrise to 3 hours later, we are blessed with the
            > opportunity to acknowledge the blessings of the sun. here is a brief
            > description of the observance that rabbi elisha wolfin (from zichron
            > yaacov) sent. Enjoy! Jay
            >
            > "The Talmud teaches us that every 28 years the sun returns to its
            > original
            > setting, which was set on the fourth day of creation. 28 years have
            > passed,
            > and this Wednesday it will happen again!!! Many Jews throughout the
            > world
            > will be holding special services to commemorate this event. You can do
            > it
            > too! When you first see the sun this coming Wednesday, you may want to
            > utter
            > the following blessing: Baruch Ata HaShem, Eloheinu Melekh HaOlam,
            > Osseh
            > Ma'asei Bereshit (Blessed are you HaShem, sovereign of the universe,
            > who
            > does the deeds of Creation). Remember: you are not blessing the sun,
            > you are
            > blessing its Creator. It is an opportunity to recognize that unlike
            > other
            > sources of energy, the sun is generous, it never changes its prices
            > (always
            > free), it will NEVER boycott Israel… and it is clean."

            Jay Rothman
            President
            The ARIA Group
            and Distinguished Visiting Professor
            The University of Cincinnati
            www.ariagroup.com
            cell - 937-580.5102
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 7 9:17 AM

              I could make it for the blessing, but then would need to leave right away for work!

              Suzanne

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 8 4:47 AM
                The kids studied this in Hebrew/Sunday School recently--we can't join you this morning, but plan to go out, look at the sun, and say the blessing.  What a wonderful thing!

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 8 5:42 AM

                  Sorry I missed you this morning – the sun seems particularly strong today, too – WYSO announced a sun-glare warning!

                  Suzanne