Fw: pharaonic: Dictionary.com Word of the Day

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
      Someone at Dictionary.com is definitely Jewish! :-)
      Hope your Passover is going well!
      -c

      Word of the Day for Thursday, March 28, 2013

      pharaonic \fair-ey-ON-ik, far-\, adjective:
      1. (usually lowercase) impressively or overwhelmingly large, luxurious, etc.: a construction project of pharaonic proportions.
      2. (sometimes lowercase) of or like a Pharaoh: living in Pharaonic splendor.
      3. (lowercase) cruelly oppressive; tyrannical: pharaonic tax laws.
      Next to it a picture of a gold-and-silver-threaded pharaonic tapestry with a band around it showing ducks flying and their wings like crowns, very pretty Islamic thing.
      -- Joseph McElroy,Night Soul and Other Stories, 2011
      At La Chacarita, the wealthy are laid to rest in huge pharaonic tombs; mausoleums are styled after famous chapels.
      -- Lloyd Jones,Here at the End of the World We Learn to Dance, 2008
      Pharaonic's root can be traced back to the Egyptian pr-ʿo, literally meaning "great house." While the noun Pharaoh entered the language though Old English, English speakers didn’t use this particular adjectival form until the late eighteenth century.

      Words of the Day? How about words of timeless wisdom?

      Introducing our Quotes channel! "Life itself is a quotation." - Jorge Luis Borges

      Lexical Investigations: Sentimental

      Sentimental, a word intrinsically tied to Romanticism, entered English in the mid-eighteenth century, about 50 years before the Romantic era was in full swing. Scholars officially date the Romantic period from around 1800 to 1850, with the publication of William Wordsworth's Lyrical Ballads in 1798 marking the palpable beginning of the era. In 1800, Wordsworth published...

      Word of the Day
      powered byad choices

      Dictionary.com Word of the DayYou are subscribed to the
      Word of the Day as:
      clevineys@...
      Subscriber since: December 23, 2009
      Unsubscribe from the Word of the Day
      To subscribe to the Word of the Day by
      email, please send a blank message to:
      join-wordoftheday@...
      ©2013 by Dictionary.com, LLC.
      555 12th Street
      Suite 500
      Oakland CA 94607
      Subscriptions to the Word of the Day
      can also be managed online
       Tell a friend about the Word of the Day!

    • Johanna
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
        Word of the Day
        interesting.  Never heard it used as an adjective before, but I know of some political types I wouldn’t mind using it for!

        Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:45 AM
        Subject: [yellowspringshavurah] Fw: pharaonic: Dictionary.com Word of the Day

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
          Am i weird for having used this term in political writings since i was a teenager (usually "pharaonic oppression")? Yes, i suppose i am :)

          Chag sameach

          Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:45 AM

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 5, 2013
            Are you seriously asking if  you’re weird? Winking smile

            Johanna

            Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:45 AM