passover and peace in Jerusalem

  • jay rothman
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
      Happy Passover All, Love, Jay

      Peace in My Mind’s Eye

       Jay Rothman

      March 21, 2013

      The Mind's-eye – the human ability to experience visual mental imagery can be a powerful source of insight. It merges the mind and the heart together in order to reconstruct memory, encounter reality and envision a future.

      In my mind's-eye, twenty years ago I am sitting in the White House Rose Garden, watching President Clinton pull Prime Minister Rabin and Chairman Arafat into the famous, now infamous, handshake. My heart leaped. "Finally, finally," I intoned to myself, recalling Rabin's words just moments before: "Enough of blood...enough of tears." In front of me, Henry Kissinger sat stony-faced. I imagined him saying to himself, "This is my worst nightmare...it will never work."

      Fast forward, this morning I get ready to sit in an audience watching another U.S. president. Like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I got a ticket.  As the first full-time Professor of Conflict Resolution in Israel, maybe it wasn't so much by chance. What President Obama will say, obviously, won't make much of a difference to war and peace here. But in my mind’s eye, he will speak to us directly and with passion, commitment, perhaps even love and, with that foundation, will demand and elicit sacrifices for peace.

      I see myself telling President Obama at a private meeting after his speech: "This conflict fought over territory is, at its deepest core, about identity. You understand this first hand. It's about who we are - as Jews, as Palestinians, as the dispossessed and deeply rooted, as the proud and defeated, as the hopeful and terrified, as the strong and weak - all of us are all of those things, separately and together. It is a conflict that cannot be ‘resolved,’ if resolved means it will end and the past will be forgotten. We have done unspeakable things to each other; of course they must be spoken about. Forgive and forget is not suited to this part of the world. Nor can the conflict even be ‘managed’ if that means that a rational and coherent settlement is selected, implemented and maintained but is unable to settle the passions and keep them from erupting and ‘ruining the peace.’

      "However, Mr. President, as you know, peace is essential and therefore possible. Here's how: first we must set our sites lower than resolution but higher than management. In short, we must learn, as Martin Luther King, Jr. said, ‘to live together as brothers or die together as fools.’ How? By knowing that our conflicts will continue forever and still finding ways to engage them creatively. Just as two people in a relationship have differences that may be hard to reconcile, so our two peoples have differences that are impossible to bridge. And yet, the violence and destruction, the deepest hurts and hatreds can, I believe, be overcome. A new future of co-existence and interdependence is possible, and necessary, and with your active support and assistance, we will 'keep on keeping on.’"

      Now...I have returned from the speech and, of course, I didn't get the chance to say what my mind’s eye imagined. But I do believe Obama may have restarted the peace process tonight. For those who said he might step aside and let us fight it out ourselves, they were wrong. For those who said Obama empathizes deeply and understands the dignity of identity, as reflected in his own story and that of his own people, they were right.

      Peace, said Obama, is both necessary and possible. In my mind’s eye, I fully agree.

      Jay Rothman is a professor in The Program on Conflict Management, Resolution and Negotiation, Bar-Ilan University and author of From Identity-Based Conflict to Identity-Based Cooperation.

    • Len

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 23, 2013

            How beautiful, Jay, and how apt.  May it be so!
            Shabbat Shalom, Happy Pesach.  "Next year in Jerusalem," and there you, Randy, and some (at least) of your family are!
            Love to all, I miss you,
            - Celia

            On Mar 21, 2013 10:20 PM, "jay rothman" <jrothman@...> wrote:

[...]

          • nncparent
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 23, 2013

              Peace in My Minds Eye and a Shard of Glass in My Ear...

              I want to feel and sense and know that peace will stay in my minds eye. I want to see it and taste it for Israel and for Palestine, for real. Is it true that we breath in and lose thought of what we say? What comes out of the collective tongue is talk but not real action.

              Good deeds show proof and hate filled words are like a shard of glass pierced into my eardrum shattering the hope of peace. If we can't correct la shon hara how will we hear goodness?

              Listen to words spoken, and if filled with bitterness, take the time to make a teachable moment to erase the old voice and create a new stronger one. Stereotypes about Jews, stereotypes about Arabs could be extinguished if no one was listening.

              Listen to the heritage of hate and erase the rhetoric so our ears wont be damaged. Deafness keeps us separate,
              from one another from ourselves. Hearing takes on a more crisp face knowing we can block the vernacular of hate. Peace, in my minds eye, must be linked with ears that hear only sweetness.

              We all have so much work to do to erase evil. Ellie Wiesel says: " The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference." For Pesach may we all recognize that each of us has the spark of the infinite within, and may we cancel out the scratching on the chalkboard and usher in kind words.

              I like Jay's perspective, but in my minds eye I also need functional ears. We must be able to listen to the goodness to promote change. Rise up from indifference and listen for peace too.

              Nance

              Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 23, 2013
                Amen, amen to you both.
                Keyn yehi ratzon!
                Chag Pesach Sameach!!
                Fondly,

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 24, 2013
                  Well done. Jay.  I think you have shown us a realistic optimism for peace.
                  --Larry Turyn

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 24, 2013
                    thanks larry. have a great passover. jesse's on his way. liana is here and of course so is mori since he lives here. so we'll all be together.