New Years Update

  • jay rothman
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2012
    Dear Friends and Colleagues,

    It has been quite a year for me.  I want to share a brief annotated chronology of my milestones from today and back around eight months, and then fast forward a few more.

    *Today,  I was formally appointed Associate Professor in the graduate Program on Conflict Resolution and Negotiation by the University Senate at Bar-Ilan University in Israel. Apparently, I am the first hire directly in to a CR program in this country. This commitment to the field is  encouraging. As you know, conflict is in ample supply here; creative ways of engaging it are, well, a bit less robust.  I intend to give it my all.

    *December 4, 2012,  my new book, co-written with a dozen and a half colleagues and students, was published. Here's a link: http://www.springer.com/psychology/personality+%26+social+psychology/book/978-1-4614-3678-2.

    *September 22, 2012, my wife and I took a leap of faith and moved (back) to Israel, taking up residence in our lovely little flat in Jerusalem, to enable me to return to academia and hope that things would unfold as they did today.

    *August, 9, 2012 my 1992 book based on my dissertation research on conflict and conflict resolution between Arabs and Jews in Israel, was republished as a kindle book. Here's a link:

    *May 7th, 2012, I  gave a job talk at Bar-Ilan for a position that the University Rector offered to establish for me, if I was indeed the right fit. I guess they decided I was (also: the Israeli government prospectively granted Bar-Ilan University a 5-year senior scholar teaching/research fellowship for me).

    *Now one step forward, May 6 and 7th, 2013:  We are holding a conference  on "Success and Failure in International Conflict Engagement." This will bring together practitioners and theorists and include both theoretical and practical/interactive workshops. This will lead to the second issue of our new Journal of International Conflict Engagement and Resolution that I now co-edit with my colleague and the Director of the Program, Michal Alberstein.

  • Leonard Kramer
    Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2012
      Re: [yellowspringshavurah] New Years Update [1 Attachment] Jay – glad to hear that things seem to be going well.  Happy New Year to all – see you in the summer!

      Len

      From: Jay Rothman <jrothman@...>
      Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 05:52:57 +0200
      To: <jay.rothman@...>
      Cc: Jay Rothman <jrothman@...>
      Subject: [yellowspringshavurah] New Years Update [1 Attachment]

      http://www.amazon.com/From-Confrontation-Cooperation-Resolving-ebook/dp/B007VR3ME6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1356893903&sr=8-6&keywords=jay+rothman

      *May 7th, 2012, I  gave a job talk at Bar-Ilan for a position that the University Rector offered to establish for me, if I was indeed the right fit. I guess they decided I was (also: the Israeli government prospectively granted Bar-Ilan University a 5-year senior scholar teaching/research fellowship for me).

      *Now one step forward, May 6 and 7th, 2013:  We are holding a conference  on "Success and Failure in International Conflict Engagement." This will bring together practitioners and theorists and include both theoretical and practical/interactive workshops. This will lead to the second issue of our new Journal of International Conflict Engagement and Resolution that I now co-edit with my colleague and the Director of the Program, Michal Alberstein.

      (while the deadline for papers ends tomorrow, I have a bit of pull and could get the date extended if any of you are interested...)

      *On June, 14-30, 2013,  I will be Scholar-in-Residence in Conflict Studies at the University of Winnipeg.

      *In July, 2013 we will be returning to Yellow Springs, Ohio for summer months (generally we plan to spend summer months in the US) and then back to Israel in September.

      Thank you for your gift of friendship and colleagueship over the years. I look forward to more.

      My best wishes for a healthy, happy and more peaceful new year.

      Jay