1770Thoughts about Chanukah and Peace from another listserv....

    Nov 21, 2013
      Hi All,
      Someone from another listserv I am on (World House Choir) posted these thoughts from a customer of hers and I thought they were beautiful and worth passing on.

      "I imagine all or most of us understand the history of Hanukkah. I'd like to take a moment to look at it in the context of today's world and recognize its continued relevancy. This occasion celebrates the first triumph for religious freedom in the ancient history of the world. Although the holiday celebrates the military victory of the Maccabees we can also examine its significance by stressing the spiritual dimension of that revolt. Military battles come and go throughout history, but it is the triumph of the human spirit that matters most when it comes to the evolution of humankind. Hanukkah should signify something other than just military proficiency.

      The relevance of Hanukkah is especially poignant as we look at today's challenges. Hanukkah reminds us that the real battlefields lie in the hearts and souls of people. No military force-regardless of its size or strength can conquer that spirit. In our battle against global terrorism and religious extremism, it is important to remember that wars must be fought not only with weapons, but with ideas and ideals. Physically destroying an enemy may have negligible value, but fighting backward ideas with progressive ideas that champion the dignity of all people will ultimately yield a victory everyone can savor. In 1776 Mr. Jefferson penned that our basic human rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are those granted by G-d, not by man. We understand that and are fortunate for that. However, as we all know, in so many places of the world that is simply not the case.

      So on this Hanukkah celebration as we pause to light our menorahs and sing the songs of the Holiday with family and friends we should remember that the miracle of Hanukkah represents a fight that still exists in our world today and we must never forget that."