Pushing Products to Yahoo Merchanct Solutions Store?

  • langza
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2006
      Hi
      I would like to know if it is possible to have a Merchant Solutions
      store that will accept product data being pushed/updated via a software
      application using an API offered by Yahoo. If so, which API should be
      used?

      Thanks
      Scott
    • Jim Hollomon
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
        At 21:34 2/2/2006, you wrote:
        I would like to know if it is possible to have a Merchant Solutions
        store that will accept product data being pushed/updated via a software
        application using an API offered by Yahoo. If so, which API should be
        used?

        It is most likely possible but we'll need to focus in on the details before I can answer the question with any reliability. What sort of data is being pushed? What protocol would it be pushed by, FTP, HTTP, post? Is the data uploaded by a human interaction (say a client using a browse button to upload an image file) or by some sort of bot? If a bot, does it already exist, or need to be written.

        If you haven't fleshed out answers to those issues yet then give me a telephone number and I'll give you a call. We can discuss pros and cons of various approaches to do what you want.

        Jim Hollomon, Web Developer, ET Productions
        59-6 Commercial Wharf East, Boston, MA 02110
        Boston Office 800-448-6399, Local 617-723-3339, Fax: 617-723-7557
        Virginia Beach Office: 757-495-2771
        We build web sites that build net profits.

      • langza
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2006
          Jim
          Some of these questions should be in the API documentation, no? How
          data will be transferred to the Yahoo Stores (FTP, HTTP etc). I would
          expect the documentation to give me options here. Here is a
          scenario, right now the details of how these things happen are not
          particularly important unless we know that first it can be done.
          Scenario:
          Customer has a website built with my software.
          The software allows the customer to add products, create a sku,
          pricing, attributes etc etc etc.
          This information is just static data until I do something with it.
          What I want to do is publish the website and transfer the product
          information to the shopping cart (in this case Merchant Solutions).
          When the customer clicks on the Add to Cart or Buy button from their
          web page the process will be handled by Yahoo Merchant Solutions.
          Now when I want to update the website with a new product I just add
          the product via my software and publish. Behind the scenes this
          product data is transferred to Yahoo Merchant Solutions so the
          process of purchasing the product can take place.

          Thanks
          Scott
        • Jim Hollomon
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2006
            At 16:43 2/8/2006, you wrote:
            Scenario:
            Customer has a website built with my software.
            The software allows the customer to add products, create a sku,
            pricing, attributes etc etc etc.
            This information is just static data until I do something with it.
            What I want to do is publish the website and transfer the product
            information to the shopping cart (in this case Merchant Solutions).
            When the customer clicks on the Add to Cart or Buy button from their
            web page the process will be handled by Yahoo Merchant Solutions.
            Now when I want to update the website with a new product I just add
            the product via my software and publish.  Behind the scenes this
            product data is transferred to Yahoo Merchant Solutions so the
            process of purchasing the product can take place.

            Scott, Yes. This is doable. We've just completed a project with MakeAstore.com to do just this. It requires building a properly formatted CSV file from your platform's database then having an application that will emulate a browser session, log into the Merchant Solutions store, click to the store manager, the editor, and then the database upload page, verify or amend as required the database upload settings, then issue the keystrokes to upload the CSV and make it go live.

            Jim Hollomon, Web Developer, ET Productions
            59-6 Commercial Wharf East, Boston, MA 02110
            Boston Office 800-448-6399, Local 617-723-3339, Fax: 617-723-7557
            Virginia Beach Office: 757-495-2771
            We build web sites that build net profits.

          • Sheridan
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 9, 2006

              FYI-

              The following page contains links to help documents for the database upload feature:

              http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/store/edit/advanced/advanced-38.html

              The following page contains information about the multiple image upload feature:

              http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/store/edit/advanced/advanced-07.html

              -SCR

              --- In ydn-store@yahoogroups.com, "langza" <langza@...> wrote:

              > Jim
              > Some of these questions should be in the API documentation, no? How
              > data will be transferred to the Yahoo Stores (FTP, HTTP etc). I would
              > expect the documentation to give me options here. Here is a
              > scenario, right now the details of how these things happen are not
              > particularly important unless we know that first it can be done.
              > Scenario:
              > Customer has a website built with my software.
              > The software allows the customer to add products, create a sku,
              > pricing, attributes etc etc etc.
              > This information is just static data until I do something with it.
              > What I want to do is publish the website and transfer the product
              > information to the shopping cart (in this case Merchant Solutions).
              > When the customer clicks on the Add to Cart or Buy button from their
              > web page the process will be handled by Yahoo Merchant Solutions.
              > Now when I want to update the website with a new product I just add
              > the product via my software and publish. Behind the scenes this
              > product data is transferred to Yahoo Merchant Solutions so the
              > process of purchasing the product can take place.
              >
              > Thanks
              > Scott

            • langza
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 10, 2006
                Thanks for the info SCR. The key here is uploading the data. It
                mentions logging in to the Yahoo Store then uploading the file. My
                user will already have input his login credentials in my software
                app, that way when he publishes his newly designed web site the
                products he set up in my application to match the look and feel will
                be transferred to the Yahoo Stores server. His credentials will be
                sent at publish time from my app. This saves him building a web site
                with one application and building a store with another that looks
                completely different.

                I am still in search for this on the Yahoo Dev pages. So far all I
                can find is information regarding the store is "Read-Only" data
                unless I add products etc through the Yahoo Store interface. :(

                Thanks
                Scott

                --- In ydn-store@yahoogroups.com, "Sheridan" <scr14@...> wrote:

                > FYI-
                >
                > The following page contains links to help documents for the database
                > upload feature:
                >
                > http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/store/edit/advanced/advanced-38.html
                > <http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/store/edit/advanced/advanced-38.html>
                >
                > The following page contains information about the multiple image
                upload
                > feature:
                >
                > http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/store/edit/advanced/advanced-07.html
                > <http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/store/edit/advanced/advanced-07.html>
                >
                > -SCR
                > --- In ydn-store@yahoogroups.com, "langza" <langza@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Jim
                > > Some of these questions should be in the API documentation, no?
                How
                > > data will be transferred to the Yahoo Stores (FTP, HTTP etc). I
                would
                > > expect the documentation to give me options here. Here is a
                > > scenario, right now the details of how these things happen are not
                > > particularly important unless we know that first it can be done.
                > > Scenario:
                > > Customer has a website built with my software.
                > > The software allows the customer to add products, create a sku,
                > > pricing, attributes etc etc etc.
                > > This information is just static data until I do something with it.
                > > What I want to do is publish the website and transfer the product
                > > information to the shopping cart (in this case Merchant
                Solutions).
                > > When the customer clicks on the Add to Cart or Buy button from
                their
                > > web page the process will be handled by Yahoo Merchant Solutions.
                > > Now when I want to update the website with a new product I just
                add
                > > the product via my software and publish. Behind the scenes this
                > > product data is transferred to Yahoo Merchant Solutions so the
                > > process of purchasing the product can take place.
                > >
                > > Thanks
                > > Scott

              • Sheridan
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 13, 2006
                  Please do not store merchants' credentials in your system. There
                  should be no need to do so. Merchants can grant your YahooID access
                  to their store(s), and you should be able to use your credentials to
                  perform uploads, edit their items & RTML templates, etc.