RichText Editor

  • Navaneeth
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
      Hi,

      Is the WYSIWYG HTML (RichText) editor in the plans for Yahoo Widgets?  I currently use dojo (http://dojotoolkit.org/docs/rich_text.html ) and it is quite painful.  I currently use Yahoo UI library for ajax and other DHTML widgets and the only reason to use dojo is its RichText editor.  If you guys can include that too, then Yahoo UI library would be complete & awesome.  Some of the things that would make it better than DOJO :

          * Customizable Toolbar
          * One toolbar shared by multiple editor instances on same page
          * Ability to browse and include pictures
          * Built-in ajax support for saving/loading html documents

      =D> - YDN

      Warm Regards,
      Navaneeth.

    • Remus Stratulat
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
        Have you tried KTML 4? Basicaly it has all the
        features mentioned by you.

        --- Navaneeth <navaneethg@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Is the WYSIWYG HTML (RichText) editor in the plans
        > for Yahoo Widgets? I
        > currently use dojo
        > (http://dojotoolkit.org/docs/rich_text.html
        > <http://dojotoolkit.org/docs/rich_text.html> ) and
        > it is quite painful.
        > I currently use Yahoo UI library for ajax and other
        > DHTML widgets and
        > the only reason to use dojo is its RichText editor.
        > If you guys can
        > include that too, then Yahoo UI library would be
        > complete & awesome.
        > Some of the things that would make it better than
        > DOJO :
        >
        > * Customizable Toolbar
        > * One toolbar shared by multiple editor
        > instances on same page
        > * Ability to browse and include pictures
        > * Built-in ajax support for saving/loading html
        > documents
        >
        > [=D>] - YDN
        >
        > Warm Regards,
        > Navaneeth.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Nate Koechley
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
          Hello Navaneeth and Remus,

          ydn-patterns, this list, is home to discussion of the Yahoo! Design Patterns Library. The Yahoo! User Interface Library, the code portion of our offerings, is most effectively discussed on the ydn-javascript list. The question of rich text editors (RTE) has been raised a few times on that list, and my colleague Eric Miraglia has shared some thoughts on our plans for rich text editors recently.

          Thanks,
          Nate

          on 6/1/2006 11:43 PM Remus Stratulat said the following:
          Have you tried KTML 4? Basicaly it has all the
          features mentioned by you.

          --- Navaneeth <navaneethg@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Is the WYSIWYG HTML (RichText) editor in the plans
          > for Yahoo Widgets?  I
          > currently use dojo
          > (http://dojotoolkit.org/docs/rich_text.html
          > <http://dojotoolkit.org/docs/rich_text.html>  ) and
          > it is quite painful.
          > I currently use Yahoo UI library for ajax and other
          > DHTML widgets and
          > the only reason to use dojo is its RichText editor.
          > If you guys can
          > include that too, then Yahoo UI library would be
          > complete & awesome.
          > Some of the things that would make it better than
          > DOJO :
          >
          >      * Customizable Toolbar
          >      * One toolbar shared by multiple editor
          > instances on same page
          >      * Ability to browse and include pictures
          >      * Built-in ajax support for saving/loading html
          > documents
          >
          >   [=D>]  - YDN
          >
          > Warm Regards,
          > Navaneeth.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Mohan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
            Hello

            HTML Area is a great tool. It has some resemblense to the stuff in Gmail. I dont know if google uses the same :D
            its good thing.

            http://sf.net/projects/itools-htmlarea/

            Mohan

            --
            visit me            : http://www.mohanraj.net
          • Jeff Beeman
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2006
              I know you're looking for something from Yahoo, but I'd suggest taking a look at the following:
              We've been using FCKEditor and TinyMCE in production in various applications for quite some time now, and we and are users are very happy.  Both are fairly simple to setup and get going, although FCKEditor does currently have some issues with Safari that prevent it from being fully functional.

              Jeff Beeman

              On 6/1/06, Navaneeth <navaneethg@...

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 5, 2006
                Thanks to everyone for the various alternate suggestions. I did look
                into the various solutions (KTML/HTMLArea/TinyMCE etc). Though these
                tools provide tons of features, they all work great only when you
                start creating documents starting from them. If you already have a
                ton of HTML documents that you want portions of it to be editable from
                within a browser (say for example the contents of a <DIV> tag) then
                almost all of them do a very bad job at it. DOJO is the only one that
                came close. Maybe once their Editor2 is ready for release, we will
                have the Online HTML editor nirvana.

                Secondly, these editors are way too complicated for someone that is
                not familiar with editing HTML documents ... in short they are for
                intermediate to advanced users who know how to use a HTML editor. I
                was looking for a tool that comes close to either the yahoo page
                creator or the one that google pages use. They are a lot more
                intutive to use.

                Finaly, sorry for having brought this topic in the patterns group.
                I'll keep this in mind for future posts.

                Again, thanks a lot to everyone for the help and I continue to look
                forward for YUI to include a simple HTML editor in the future.

                Warm Regards,
                Navaneeth.