Setting up Yahoo Patterns.

  • vicmatson
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2006
      Can someone tell me how to use patterns? I found online where there
      are three parts. I'm thinking one is the JS that gets pasted into your
      pages and it's CSS. The third gets loaded on a server that processes them.

      If I am correct what requirements does that server need as far as OS
      server etc. I am currently using a LAMP stack and considering a
      windows server for ColdFusion but don't know whats needed to do AJAX
      for the script's, is there something similar to ColdFusion needed?

      Any help so I can start trying them out or a link to installing design
      patterns for dummies!
    • Charles
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2006
        Vicmatson,

        Design patterns aren't software, but "recipes" that software developers use
        to solve common recurring problems. You can't install them.

        Sometimes, Yahoo's design patterns reference their Yahoo User Interface
        library. You can install these.

        The book "Head First Design Patterns" (an O'Reilly book available pretty
        much anywhere) is a good (and fun) introductory book.

        -- Charles

        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2006
          I understand they are complex and one would need to be a developer to
          completely implement them. I just was trying to find where the UI
          folders go on a remote server.

          But even more important I am just trying to put one(auto complete)in a
          page not to make them work but for use as a preview of a page.

          I can see what they are capable of and would indeed hire a developer
          to make them work(data source etc)but for me using a "preview" enables
          me to lay things out so the page looks inviting for users.

          In my line of business no one use online ordering because it's tedious
          and just easier to call an order in. I intend to change that by giving
          the user a value. In my case, while validation is important, total
          tracking would be a complete answer and therefor a value!

          --- In ydn-patterns@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <lists06@...> wrote:

          > Vicmatson,
          >
          > Design patterns aren't software, but "recipes" that software
          developers use
          > to solve common recurring problems. You can't install them.
          >
          > Sometimes, Yahoo's design patterns reference their Yahoo User Interface
          > library. You can install these.
          >
          > The book "Head First Design Patterns" (an O'Reilly book available pretty
          > much anywhere) is a good (and fun) introductory book.
          >
          > -- Charles

        • Charles
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2006
            > I just was trying to find where the UI folders go on a remote server.

            You can put them wherever you want them. I put them in a folder called
            "yui".

            BTW, "ydn-javascript" is the Yahoo! Groups list where YUI is discussed.

            -- Charles
          • vicmatson
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2006
              Thank you for the answer on the first part, but more importantly as
              far as patterns(auto complete) are concerned can they be pasted into a
              page? I don't mean to imply that they have to work however can they be
              pasted like client JS can? What I'm after is for the auto complete
              pattern(portion not the whole page) to look like it does in Yahoo mail
              beta.

              > BTW, "ydn-javascript" is the Yahoo! Groups list where YUI is discussed.

              Also sorry if I'm in the wrong forum but, as I asked, the second part
              is the real question. I can't tell if the above question is a pattern
              or JS question so please bear with me.

              --- In ydn-patterns@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <lists06@...> wrote:

              > > I just was trying to find where the UI folders go on a remote server.
              >
              > You can put them wherever you want them. I put them in a folder called
              > "yui".
              >
              > BTW, "ydn-javascript" is the Yahoo! Groups list where YUI is discussed.
              >
              > -- Charles

            • Charles
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2006
                > Thank you for the answer on the first part, but more importantly
                > as far as patterns (auto complete) are concerned can they be pasted
                > into a page?

                Patterns aren't software, so no. You may be able to find an auto-complete
                component that follows that pattern, however.

                I know that Yahoo is working on an auto-complete control for YUI, and
                hopefully they'll come out with a YUI update soon that includes at least a
                beta version of that control. If that's interesting to you, you should join
                the ydn-javascript list to make sure that you see that announcement.

                In the meantime, it would be beneficial to spend some time learning what
                design patterns are, and what JavaScript is. You'll also need to learn
                server-side programming to do anything useful.

                -- Charles