Re: [ydn-messenger] Re: Yahoo Content Tab Plugin

  • knanaiah@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
      thanks for the reply... I have declared yhost globally.........outside my function

      shalinmangar <shalinmangar@...> wrote:
      You usually get those kind of error messages when you initialize the
      yhost variable inside a function.

      Make the yhost variable a global one and initialize it also in global
      scope.

      Use the following code:

      <script>
      var yhost = window.external;

      function someFunction( ){
      //use yhost here
      }
      </script>

      --- In ydn-messenger@ yahoogroups. com, "knanaiah" <knanaiah@.. .> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > Anyone been working on Yahoo messenger plugin SDK? I've been hvng
      > trouble getting yhost.SendIM( msg) to work. Error : Object does not
      > support this property or method. I'm working on a content tab plugin,
      > I've also updated the plugin.properties to enable instant messaging.
      > also yhost = window.external;
      >
      > Also event handler for receiving plugin messages is on_PluginMessage
      > or onPluginMessage? The SDK references both. Same question with
      > FriendSelected and onFriendSelected.
      >
      > Does the messenger need to be reinstalled if the plugin.properties
      > file is modified?
      >
      > Any ideas?
      >
      > Thanks, Kajal

    • Andy (or Bee)
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
        --- In ydn-messenger@yahoogroups.com, <knanaiah@...> wrote:
        > > Any ideas?
        > >
        > > Thanks, Kajal

        Hi Kajal,

        Have you tried playing around with the number of users in the
        plugin.properties file? try changing from 1 to 2 users.

        - Andy
      • jdunning
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
          --- In ydn-messenger@yahoogroups.com, <knanaiah@...> wrote:
          > > Anyone been working on Yahoo messenger plugin SDK? I've been hvng
          > > trouble getting yhost.SendIM(msg) to work. Error : Object does not
          > > support this property or method. I'm working on a content tab plugin,

          SendIM is only available for side panel plugins, not content tab plugins. You'll have to change the Plugin-type attribute in the manifest to 1.
        • Andy (or Bee)
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
            --- In ydn-messenger@yahoogroups.com, "jdunning" <jdunning@...> wrote:

            > --- In ydn-messenger@yahoogroups.com, <knanaiah@> wrote:
            > > > Anyone been working on Yahoo messenger plugin SDK? I've been hvng
            > > > trouble getting yhost.SendIM(msg) to work. Error : Object does not
            > > > support this property or method. I'm working on a content tab
            plugin,

            > SendIM is only available for side panel plugins, not content tab
            plugins. You'll have to change the Plugin-type attribute in the
            manifest to 1.

            or set for 2 users ;) I kinda hope that it's a early quirk to be
            fixed, I can think of lots of uses for plugins that are one user and
            that would benefit from being able to send messages to the person you
            are talking with...

            - Andy
          • champagnelegrosbayo
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
              well, what's the problem excatly?

              You can't send IM from a contentTab plug, and that's by design so folks dont spam users. But, you can start an IM session from your contentTab plugin and populate it with some text, the user will have to click the "Send" button.

              Here is another solution: if you want to dfo basic text back and forth between users that are running your content tab plugin you can use the sendpluginblabla API to communicate between plugin instances....

              hth,

              > > > Anyone been working on Yahoo messenger plugin SDK? I've been hvng
              > > > trouble getting yhost.SendIM( msg) to work. Error : Object does not
              > > > support this property or method. I'm working on a content tab
              plugin,

              > SendIM is only available for side panel plugins, not content tab
              plugins. You'll have to change the Plugin-type attribute in the
              manifest to 1.

              or set for 2 users ;) I kinda hope that it's a early quirk to be
              fixed, I can think of lots of uses for plugins that are one user and
              that would benefit from being able to send messages to the person you
              are talking with...

              - Andy

            • bog_bej
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 18, 2006
                Hm, interesting idea... sending plugin messages. But that still means
                that the other user has to be using the plugin.
                I'm a bit confused. The docs aren't really clear about who controls
                who (at least not to me, anyway). Does window.external represent the
                host of the plugin (sidepanel/content tab)? Is there any way to, say,
                get a side panel object from the content tab?

                --- In ydn-messenger@yahoogroups.com, champagnelegrosbayo
                <champagnelegrosbayo@...> wrote:

                > well, what's the problem excatly?
                >
                > You can't send IM from a contentTab plug, and that's by design so
                folks dont spam users. But, you can start an IM session from your
                contentTab plugin and populate it with some text, the user will have
                to click the "Send" button.

                > Here is another solution: if you want to dfo basic text back and
                forth between users that are running your content tab plugin you can
                use the sendpluginblabla API to communicate between plugin instances....

                > hth,

              • jdunning
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 18, 2006
                  --- In ydn-messenger@yahoogroups.com, "bog_bej" <bog_bej@...> wrote:
                  > Does window.external represent the
                  > host of the plugin (sidepanel/content tab)?

                  Yes.

                  > Is there any way to, say,
                  > get a side panel object from the content tab?

                  I don't think so. The side panel and tab would be running in separate instances of the IE control and would have different GUIDs.