Newbie question about valid user token

  • robsartgallery
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2008
      Hi all:

      I'm actually new to this group, and I've been reading through a
      number of posts, and haven't found an answer to a newbie question:
      basically, I've done some simple programming in C#, and I'm looking
      to (ambitiously!) branch into using the Yahoo mail API with C#. The
      problem is, as I read through the docs, I think I'm missing a connect
      and was hoping someone could help me out.

      Basically, I don't have a clear idea of how the valid user token is
      obtained (or, for that matter, where in the flow of the program this
      would be obtained.)

      Correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding here: if I were to use
      the YMWS_Sample class in C#, I could write a driver program, and in
      that program, I would instantiate YMWS_Sample and obtain from this
      object various things such as lists of messages, etc. In
      YMWS_Sample, I would have my application id and shared secret... but
      where and how would the user token come into the picture?

      I think this is where I need some clarification. Suggestions, more
      samples, docs, anything would be appreciated.

      Go easy on me... again, I'm just getting started with this.

      Thanks!

      Rob
    • Ryan Kennedy
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2008
        On May 16, 2008, at 8:27 PM, robsartgallery wrote:
        > I'm actually new to this group, and I've been reading through a
        > number of posts, and haven't found an answer to a newbie question:
        > basically, I've done some simple programming in C#, and I'm looking
        > to (ambitiously!) branch into using the Yahoo mail API with C#. The
        > problem is, as I read through the docs, I think I'm missing a connect
        > and was hoping someone could help me out.

        Rob, welcome to the list! I think we can help you out here.

        > Basically, I don't have a clear idea of how the valid user token is
        > obtained (or, for that matter, where in the flow of the program this
        > would be obtained.)

        Have a look at the Yahoo! Browser Based Authentication (BBAuth)
        documentation, available here:

        http://developer.yahoo.com/auth/

        The short version breaks down like this:

        1) The user visits your web site for the first time.

        2) Your application recognizes that it doesn't have a token for the
        user. Your application builds a URL to api.login.yahoo.com. You'll use
        your application ID and your secret to construct the URL. Details on
        how to construct the URL are included in the docs.

        3) Your application sends the user to this newly created URL.

        4) The user arrives at Yahoo!'s login page, grants permission to your
        application to access their Yahoo! mailbox and is redirected back to
        your web application.

        5) Included in the redirect URL (the one that points back to your web
        server) is the token. Your application just needs to parse the token
        out of the URL query parameter.

        Make sense? There's some additional docs specifically for integrating
        BBAuth in C# available here:

        http://developer.yahoo.com/dotnet/howto-bbauth_cs.html

        In addition, there is some precompiled .NET code to help interact with
        BBAuth available in the .NET developer center:

        http://developer.yahoo.com/dotnet/

        Feel free to pop back here if you run into any problems. In addition,
        there's a Yahoo! Group specifically for discussing BBAuth (I'm
        subscribed to that one, too):

        Ryan Kennedy
        Technical Yahoo!
        rckenned@...
      • robsartgallery
        Message 3 of 3 , May 17, 2008
          This is a lot of helpful information, thanks. I'll follow through
          these notes.

          Another (potentially obvious) question, but when the docs talk about
          eventually redirecting to my URL, what level of ownership are we
          talking about? Meaning, do I need to use a domain that I completely
          and totally own (aka.... www.rob.com) or can this be accomplished
          with a freebie like angelfire or geocities?
          Again, I'm still getting the hang of WS and integrating into the web,
          so I hope this isn't too basic a question.

          Thanks again,

          Rob