Re: JavaScript Documentation

  • Thomas S. Sha
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14, 2006
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "faserone" <faserone@...> wrote:

      > I like the Javascript Documentation provided with yui. Which kind of
      > tools do they used? jsdoc ? (http://jsdoc.sourceforge.net/)

      Yes, we currently use jsdoc - with some modifications - to output the
      documentation.

      Regards,
      Thomas
    • slieschke
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18, 2006
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas S. Sha" <tsha@...> wrote:

        > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "faserone" <faserone@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I like the Javascript Documentation provided with yui. Which kind of
        > > tools do they used? jsdoc ? (http://jsdoc.sourceforge.net/)
        > >

        > Yes, we currently use jsdoc - with some modifications - to output the
        > documentation.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Thomas

        Are there plans to release the jsdoc modifications? I'd be very
        interested in them.

        I see some of your libraries are written using object literals (e.g.
        the Connection Manager), but jsdoc by default won't generate
        documentation for them IIRC. Because of this, I have to write code like

        Foo = new Object();
        Foo.bar = function() { alert("Hello, world!"); }
        Foo.spaz = function() { alert("Goodbye") }; }

        instead of

        Foo = {
        bar: function() { alert("Hello, world!"); },
        spaz: function() { alert("Goodbye"); }
        }

        so I can successfully generate documentation with jsdoc.

        Cheers,

        Simon
      • Alex Russell
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 19, 2006
          On Saturday 18 February 2006 7:55 pm, slieschke wrote:
          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas S. Sha" <tsha@...>
          wrote:
          > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "faserone" <faserone@> wrote:
          > > > I like the Javascript Documentation provided with yui. Which kind
          > > > of tools do they used? jsdoc ? (http://jsdoc.sourceforge.net/)
          > >
          > > Yes, we currently use jsdoc - with some modifications - to output
          > > the documentation.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Thomas
          >
          > Are there plans to release the jsdoc modifications? I'd be very
          > interested in them.

          Will it really help that much? JSDoc is intractably centered on
          traditional class-based OO. I dont really think it's salvageable for
          modern, idomatic JS.

          --
          Alex Russell
          alex@...
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2006
            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Alex Russell <alex@...> wrote:

            > > Are there plans to release the jsdoc modifications? I'd be very
            > > interested in them.
            >
            > Will it really help that much? JSDoc is intractably centered on
            > traditional class-based OO. I dont really think it's salvageable for
            > modern, idomatic JS.

            Huh? Yahoo have already made the changes to JSDoc to make it work with
            modern idiomatic JavaScript.

            I'm asking if they can release the changes so I can also write modern
            idiomatic JavaScript that I can also generate documentation from. At
            the moment I can't do this because the need to generate documentation
            for developers who use my library trumps writing JavaScript in a
            modern idiomatic fashion.

            Cheers,

            Simon
          • Alex Russell
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 21, 2006
              On Tuesday 21 February 2006 4:34 pm, slieschke wrote:
              > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Alex Russell <alex@...> wrote:
              > > > Are there plans to release the jsdoc modifications? I'd be very
              > > > interested in them.
              > >
              > > Will it really help that much? JSDoc is intractably centered on
              > > traditional class-based OO. I dont really think it's salvageable
              > > for modern, idomatic JS.
              >
              > Huh? Yahoo have already made the changes to JSDoc to make it work
              > with modern idiomatic JavaScript.

              Uh, no. They shoehorned yet another hack into an ill-fitting container.
              The generated docs still have no concept of a mixin for inheritance,
              only provide for a single return type, and don't seem to handle
              variable arguments, and lord knows what'll happen when you throw an
              idiom like "namespace.singleton = new function(){}" at it.

              It does, however, accommodate namespaces (e.g.: literals). Progress,
              baby.

              Regards