Widget Idea: On-Demand Multi Level Menu

  • Christian Heilmann
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2006
      Here's an idea I had form some time now, but just
      didn't get around properly doing it.

      Multi Level Dropdown menus have several issues, but
      the most annoying one is that visitors without
      JavaScript will get a lot of menu items they just
      don't need at the moment. It is all fine and well to
      be able to go everywhere in the site from the menu
      with a mousepath, but when you have to hit enter and
      tab dozens of times it can be annoying.

      So the idea is to have a nested list that has the
      current section and subsections expanded by default -
      giving the user without JavaScript only the navigation
      he needs. I wrote a PHP script that does that
      automatically from a large nested list:
      http://onlinetools.org/tools/easynav/

      Now, via a hover handler and AJAX we could read a
      script like this (or even do an XML transformation in
      JavaScript) to dynamically add the child elements to a
      node when and if the user has JavaScript and a mouse
      at his disposal. Other users will never get the
      navigation that will only be in their way.

      I might have a crack at it but right now I have to
      finish my book first, as the editors are getting
      testy...

      regards
      Chris