Advanced table manipulation

  • foti-1@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2007
      I have a table that has a width of 100%. This table has several columns. It would be nice to be able to show/hide each column of the table. That is, shrink the width down and re-expand the width. Has anyone done anything like this, or does anyone have an example that does this? Ultimately, I'd like the user to be able to save some preferences (which columns to show or hide), but for now I just want to know where to get started.

      Thanks for any input.
      Peter
    • tssha
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2007
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, foti-1@... wrote:

        > I have a table that has a width of 100%. This table has several
        columns. It would be nice to be able to show/hide each column of the
        table. That is, shrink the width down and re-expand the width. Has
        anyone done anything like this, or does anyone have an example that
        does this? Ultimately, I'd like the user to be able to save some
        preferences (which columns to show or hide), but for now I just want
        to know where to get started.

        > Thanks for any input.
        > Peter

        Perhaps you may be able to find a solution using colgroup and col, and
        apply CSS to control the table columns. Historically, cross-browser
        support of this approach has proven spotty at best, so YMMV.

        Regards,
        Thomas
      • foti-1@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2007
          Unfortunately, that's where I'm at now. If I can find a solution that works with A-Grade browsers, I'll be satisfied. Anyone?
          Thanks,
          Peter

          From: "tssha" <tsha@...>
          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, foti-1@... wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a table that has a width of 100%. This table has several
          > columns. It would be nice to be able to show/hide each column of the
          > table. That is, shrink the width down and re-expand the width. Has
          > anyone done anything like this, or does anyone have an example that
          > does this? Ultimately, I'd like the user to be able to save some
          > preferences (which columns to show or hide), but for now I just want
          > to know where to get started.
          > >
          > > Thanks for any input.
          > > Peter
          >
          > Perhaps you may be able to find a solution using colgroup and col, and
          > apply CSS to control the table columns. Historically, cross-browser
          > support of this approach has proven spotty at best, so YMMV.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Thomas

        • Fred Janon
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2007
            Assign a class to each of the <TD>s, one class per column and add 'display:none" to the class to hide it, set "display:''" to show it.

            From: "tssha" <tsha@...>