Contributing Patches to the Y! User Interface Library

  • jeffreymcmanus
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15 8:10 PM
      Hey everybody,

      Following our release of the Yahoo! User Interface Library this week,
      some of you have asked whether it's possible to contribute patches,
      bug fixes, and new code back to the library. The answer is yes,
      absolutely, we'd love to see your contributions. Here are some guidelines:

      1) For now we can accept diff/patches you post to the list. It's
      probably best to prefix your email with the component name and version
      number in the subject line of your email (like "PATCH: floofuriaugh
      0.9.0") so we catch it, and include the patch itself inline in the
      body of the email rather than as an attachment. If this process proves
      unmanageable in the future, we'll figure out a more expeditious way to
      handle contributions.

      2) The code you contribute must be yours, meaning you wrote it or
      otherwise own it, or it must be licensed under an open-source license
      that is compatible with the BSD license. Ask if you're unsure as to
      what this means.

      Thanks for joining the ydn-javascript community. We're looking forward
      to seeing what you build with our tools and services.

      Jeffrey McManus
      Director, Yahoo! Developer Network
    • Alex Russell
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 21 1:07 PM
        Hi Jeffery,

        On Wednesday 15 February 2006 8:10 pm, jeffreymcmanus wrote:
        > Hey everybody,
        >
        > Following our release of the Yahoo! User Interface Library this week,
        > some of you have asked whether it's possible to contribute patches,
        > bug fixes, and new code back to the library. The answer is yes,
        > absolutely, we'd love to see your contributions. Here are some
        > guidelines:
        >
        > 1) For now we can accept diff/patches you post to the list. It's
        > probably best to prefix your email with the component name and
        > version number in the subject line of your email (like "PATCH:
        > floofuriaugh 0.9.0") so we catch it, and include the patch itself
        > inline in the body of the email rather than as an attachment. If this
        > process proves unmanageable in the future, we'll figure out a more
        > expeditious way to handle contributions.
        >
        > 2) The code you contribute must be yours, meaning you wrote it or
        > otherwise own it, or it must be licensed under an open-source license
        > that is compatible with the BSD license. Ask if you're unsure as to
        > what this means.

        Wait, you're suggesting that people:

        1.) provide un-licensed patches without copyright assignment and/or
        patent disclaimers
        2.) or license them without a strong assertion of provenance

        ??

        Do your lawyers really condone redistribution of such an IP molotov
        cocktail in a shipping commercial application? Surely posting code to a
        mailing list and saying "I wrote it" can't be enough? The JS under
        discussion *will* be re-distributed, which I'd imagine makes getting
        these ducks all lined up that much more important.

        I realize you're trying to keep things simple for a community that might
        not be used to dealing with IP issues, but this seems like fatally bad
        advice. At a minimum, shouldn't you be requiring some form of
        contributors license agreement (e.g.: http://dojotoolkit.org/icla.txt)?

        Regards

        --
        Alex Russell