Re: Omitting tree expand when code label clicked in TreeView

  • suchanek_tomasz
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
      Any ideas?
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
        suchanek_tomasz,

        The best solution for you here is to use HTMLNodes rather than the TextNodes.  See the TreeView documentation for more on how to use HTMLNodes.

        Regards,
        Eric

        Eric Miraglia
        Yahoo! User Interface Library

        On Feb 1, 2007, at 7:52 AM, suchanek_tomasz wrote:

        As written in topic. How can I omit expanding tree when labal is
        clicked? I want to expand/collapse nodes only when icon + - is clicked.

      • Chun
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
          When you create the data object of the node, set the href as
          'javascript:void(0);'. The following is an example:

          var oData = {label: 'My Label', id: 'my_id', href: 'javascript:void(0);'};
          var node = new YAHOO.widget.TextNode(oData, parentNode, false);

          Hope this helps.

          Chun Pan (Billy)
          Sr. Applications Developer
          NetCentrics Corporation

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "suchanek_tomasz"
          <suchanek_tomasz@...> wrote:

          > As written in topic. How can I omit expanding tree when labal is
          > clicked? I want to expand/collapse nodes only when icon + - is clicked.

        • Alessandro Vernet
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 19, 2007
            Eric,

            I am following up on this thread from February. The solution you suggest
            works, but the downside is that it requires to re-implement the method
            getNodeHtml(). This means doing a large copy-paste of TextNode.getNodeHtml()
            and just removing the line that sets the href. Since the code generated
            there is tied to some internal code of the tree, there is a chance that this
            method will need to be modified when upgrading to a new version of YUI.

            So I would really prefer to have a way to tell the existing TextNode not to
            generate an href.

            For some background, this happens when you do a tree.subscribe("labelClick",
            ...) to handle clicks on labels. You don't want to go to a URL, and you
            don't want the default behavior (collapse/uncollapse).

            Alex

            Eric Miraglia wrote:

            > suchanek_tomasz,
            >
            > The best solution for you here is to use HTMLNodes rather than the
            > TextNodes. See the TreeView documentation for more on how to use
            > HTMLNodes.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Eric

            > Eric Miraglia
            > Yahoo! User Interface Library
            >

            > On Feb 1, 2007, at 7:52 AM, suchanek_tomasz wrote:
            >
            >> As written in topic. How can I omit expanding tree when labal is
            >> clicked? I want to expand/collapse nodes only when icon + - is
            >> clicked.

          • Eric Miraglia
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 19, 2007
              Alessandro,

              Two quick thoughts here:

              1.  Working with TreeView on its current terms, you could get very close to what you want (maybe all the way there) by returning false on your labelclick handler and the using css to style away the linkiness of the <a> tag.  Adam Moore, TreeView's author, notes that this relies on the DOM0 behavior wrt returning false, and we haven't tested this across the A-grade browsers.  But I ran it through several just now with good results.  Caveat emptor, of course, but it may be something to try.

              2.  What you are really asking for, I think, is more control over how TextNodes are created/structured (and in your  subsequent email you're asking for the API for labelclick be inclusive of TaskNode).  The best way to get these requests into our process is to add them as feature requests in SourceForge.

              Eric Miraglia wrote:

              > suchanek_tomasz,
              >
              > The best solution for you here is to use HTMLNodes rather than the
              > TextNodes. See the TreeView documentation for more on how to use
              > HTMLNodes.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Eric

              > Eric Miraglia
              > Yahoo! User Interface Library
              >

              > On Feb 1, 2007, at 7:52 AM, suchanek_tomasz wrote:
              >
              >> As written in topic. How can I omit expanding tree when labal is
              >> clicked? I want to expand/collapse nodes only when icon + - is
              >> clicked.

            • Alessandro Vernet
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 12, 2008
                Alessandro Vernet wrote:

                > So I would really prefer to have a way to tell the existing TextNode not
                > to generate an href.

                Following-up on my own message, this has been taken care of in YUI 2.6.0.
                Great. Now the href and target attribute are just not generated if there is
                no href (from treeview.js):

                if (this.href) {
                sb[sb.length] = ' href="' + this.href + '"';
                sb[sb.length] = ' target="' + this.target + '"';
                }

                Excellent :).

                Alex

                -----
                Orbeon Forms - Web 2.0 Forms, open-source, for the Enterprise
                Orbeon's Blog: http://www.orbeon.com/blog/
                Personal Blog: http://avernet.blogspot.com/
                Twitter - http://twitter.com/avernet