Use one instance of YUI autocomplete for multiple text inputs

  • Jason Lustig
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi everyone

      I am a Javascript programmer working on a new site based on YUI, and
      for part of our interface we are using a lot of autocomplete. There
      are numerous text fields, one after the other, each of which hook into
      the same backend fo the autocomplete, like this:

      [========]
      [========]
      [========] <-- Each use autocomplete, with same source
      [========]
      [========]

      Now I know that I can create an autocomplete instance for each text
      field, but that is in a lot of ways a waste of resources. I know that
      for YUI panels, I can set the "context" of the panel to different
      elements on the page, enabling me to basically use a single Panel
      instance for multiple uses. Is it possible to do a similar
      customization on the Autocomplete widget?

      Thanks very much
      Jason
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
        Jason,

        Each AutoComplete instance is linked to specific DOM elements and listens for changes on those elements.  Without rearchititecting AutoComplete, I believe it would be difficult to reuse your AC instances (the component owner may correct me on this, but I suspect not.)

        If your DataSource is configured identically across each text field, though, that part should be reusable and should benefit from any caching that might be going on.

        I would work with multiple AutoComplete instances and a single DataSource unless you're noticing real performance problems.  In that case, you might want to consider instantiating AutoComplete on focus of the text field and destroying each instance on blur while retaining the persistent shared DataSource instance.

        Regards,
        Eric

        Eric Miraglia
        Yahoo! User Interface Library