Re: [ydn-javascript] Slider error when hidden!

  • Alessandro Vernet
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
      Alessandro Vernet wrote:

      > Yes! I have the same problem with YUI 0.12.0 (I haven't checked if the
      > issue is still there in 0.12.1). I documented the fix I have done for
      > 0.12.0 on the page linked below (look for slider.js).
      >
      > https://wiki.objectweb.org/ops/Wiki.jsp?page=YUI

      Did anyone from Yahoo! get a chance to look at this fix and see of this is
      something that would be worth integrating in YUI?

      Alex
      --
      Orbeon Forms - Web Forms for the Enterprise, Done the Right Way
      http://www.orbeon.com/

    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
        Alessandro,

        Is there a reason why you would set display:none on the thumb of a slider instead of visibility:hidden?

        Regards,
        Eric

        Eric Miraglia
        Yahoo! User Interface Library

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
          Hi Eric,

          Eric Miraglia wrote:

          > Is there a reason why you would set display:none on the thumb of a
          > slider instead of visibility:hidden?

          Sorry, I feel I am missing something: where am I am setting display:none on
          the thumb?

          Alex

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
            Alex,

            See the original post in this thread...

            Perhaps I am not clear on what the exact issue is here.

            Regards,
            Eric

            Eric Miraglia
            Yahoo! User Interface Library

            On Feb 2, 2007, at 7:27 PM, Alessandro Vernet wrote:

            Hi Eric,

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 6, 2007
              Eric Miraglia wrote:

              > Alex,
              >
              > See the original post in this thread...

              > Perhaps I am not clear on what the exact issue is here.

              Eric,

              Sorry, I got confused. So, the problem we have here happens when the slider
              is hidden when the page is initially loaded. The slider is initially hidden
              with display: none, which is then changed in JavaScript into display: block.

              The reason we use display: none instead of visibility hidden is that we
              don't want the slider to take any space in the layout.

              Concretely, the slider is in a "tab" which is not displayed when the page
              first loads. The tab is a div with display: none. When you click on the tab,
              the display of this tab is changed to "block" and the slider becomes
              visible. You can see this in action (click on the "Range" tab):

              http://www.orbeon.com/ops/xforms-controls/

              Is there any chance that sliders initially hidden will work out of the box
              in the next version of YUI?

              Alex
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 7, 2007
                Alex,

                The problem, I suspect, is that that using the display property to hide your slider is preventing some necessary computation from being done on the part of Drag and Drop (Slider is an implementation of Drag and Drop).  When elements are styled as display:none, there are certain aspects of their style object that cannot be read or manipulated.

                Another approach that should solve your problem is to load the page with your slider set with visibility:hidden and position:absolute.  This will take it out of the page flow and make it invisible, just like display:none, but without the harmful side effects.

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 28, 2007
                  Eric,

                  Eric Miraglia wrote:

                  > Another approach that should solve your problem is to load the page
                  > with your slider set with visibility:hidden and position:absolute.
                  > This will take it out of the page flow and make it invisible, just
                  > like display:none, but without the harmful side effects.

                  This is a good point. I will try this approach.

                  Alex
                  --
                  Orbeon Forms - Web 2.0 Forms for the Enterprise
                  http://www.orbeon.com/
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 12, 2008
                    Eric,

                    Alessandro Vernet wrote:

                    > Eric,
                    >

                    > Eric Miraglia wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Another approach that should solve your problem is to load the page
                    >> with your slider set with visibility:hidden and position:absolute.
                    >> This will take it out of the page flow and make it invisible, just
                    >> like display:none, but without the harmful side effects.
                    >>

                    > This is a good point. I will try this approach.

                    I am not sure if a follow-up on a thread almost two years after the last
                    message is considered good etiquette :), but your suggestion works
                    beautifully. Thanks!

                    Alex

                    -----
                    Orbeon Forms - Web 2.0 Forms, open-source, for the Enterprise
                    Orbeon's Blog: http://www.orbeon.com/blog/
                    Personal Blog: http://avernet.blogspot.com/
                    Twitter - http://twitter.com/avernet
                  • Eric Miraglia
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 12, 2008
                      Alex,

                      I'm glad the solution worked for you -- and that we're all still here having fun with YUI two years later!

                      -Eric

                      On Nov 12, 2008, at 6:02 PM, Alessandro Vernet wrote:

                      Eric,