RE: [ydn-javascript] Re: DWR and Autocomplete

  • dan.doyle@cexp.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007

      Thank you for the help. I will try it out and get back to the list.

      Dan

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007

        Update:

        I have not bridged Yahoo and DWR yet. It seems like it should be straightforward, but I have not had the time to delve into the details of either library and work must go on. From what I can tell, bridging the two is not as simple as having Yahoo generate the proper query. DWR generates a unique token that I believe it uses to match up returns. In addition, DWR attempts to bridge the Java world with the Javascript world by trying to generate the notion of a bean on the client. I suspect that the callback from DWR is more complicated than a JSON or an array or just plain XML as the information returned from DWR has to create the pseudo-bean.

        Nevertheless, I am going to implement a servlet that receives a query term as the Yahoo library prescribes for the time being. I will resume looking into both javascript libraries to see how I can make an adapter Yahoo will make AJAX calls through to DWR and DWR callbacks feed back into Yahoo. There is value in having a framework that is flexible enough to allow a developer to plugin their preferred AJAX framework. I think that it is a shortcoming for the Yahoo library to couple features to a specific implementation of AJAX . After all, Yahoo’s library is has many great features, is maturing or is mature (I can’t tell at this point), and it has excellent community support and those are huge plusses for me as a developer.

        Dan

        In that case, you might want to try customizing the following function
        from

        YAHOO.widget. AutoComplete. prototype. sendQuery = function(sQuery) {
        this._sendQuery( sQuery);
        };

        YAHOO.widget. AutoComplete. prototype. sendQuery = function(sQuery) {
        this._sendQuery( "string:" +sQuery);
        };

        Regards,
        Jenny

        --- In ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com, <dan.doyle@. ..> wrote:

        > Thank you for the reply. So, I saw this in the documentation, but that
        > is not exactly the problem. The problem is that I need to append
        > "string:" in front of the term.
        >

        > So, if I take your example, the URL should look like
        >
        > http://url?query= string:foo
        <http://url/? query=string: foo>

        > Whereas, it looks like XHRDatasource will automagically give me the URL
        >
        > http://url?query= foo <
        href="http://url/?query=foo">http://url/? query=foo>

        > with no option to modify the term. I realize this is a strange request
        > as normally we would just append the term, but DWR doesn't work its
        > magic that way. Matter of fact, DWR wants the user to use the DWREngine
        > object to perform the AJAX
        call so creating a URL is a workaround
        > because of the mismatch between the two tools.
        >

        > It would be better if I could assign a custom
        w:st="on">AJAX call to a
        > XHRDatasource object and assign the callback to that object. Since this
        > is JS, I imagine I can reassign some properties in the AutoComplete
        > object to do this. Does anyone know which properties in the object
        > perform the call and are used for the callback? If this was the case,
        > then XHRDatasource could drive the custom function that performs the
        > AJAX call
        whenever an event occurs in the textbox that is providing the
        > autocomplete. As it is, it looks like I have to use the
        w:st="on">AJAX
        > functionality built into the XHRDatasource. There are plenty of
        w:st="on"> AJAX
        > frameworks around and I imagine this would make the AutoComplete library
        > even more useful. As it is, I have to leave the
        w:st="on">AJAX calls up to the
        > XHRDatasource object.
        >

        > Thanks again for the suggestion,
        >
        > Dan
        >

        > ____________ _________ _________ __

      • Nige White
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
          We use DWR, but I didn't bother when I implemented autocomplete. You'd
          have to imlpement your own DataSource with the correct interface but
          using DWR under the surface. I thought it was just too much work, and
          used a standard DS_XHR DataSource of type YAHOO.widget.DS_XHR.TYPE_JSON,
          and wrote a little servlet to do the query and generate the JSON. Took 1
          day.

          Implementing a new DataSource would have taken longer.

          dan.doyle@... wrote:

          > Update:
          >
          > I have not bridged Yahoo and DWR yet. It seems like it should be
          > straightforward, but I have not had the time to delve into the details
          > of either library and work must go on. From what I can tell, bridging
          > the two is not as simple as having Yahoo generate the proper query.
          > DWR generates a unique token that I believe it uses to match up
          > returns. In addition, DWR attempts to bridge the Java world with the
          > Javascript world by trying to generate the notion of a bean on the
          > client. I suspect that the callback from DWR is more complicated than
          > a JSON or an array or just plain XML as the information returned from
          > DWR has to create the pseudo-bean.
          >
          > Nevertheless, I am going to implement a servlet that receives a query
          > term as the Yahoo library prescribes for the time being. I will resume
          > looking into both javascript libraries to see how I can make an
          > adapter Yahoo will make AJAX calls through to DWR and DWR callbacks
          > feed back into Yahoo. There is value in having a framework that is
          > flexible enough to allow a developer to plugin their preferred AJAX
          > framework. I think that it is a shortcoming for the Yahoo library to
          > couple features to a specific implementation of AJAX. After all,
          > Yahoo’s library is has many great features, is maturing or is mature
          > (I can’t tell at this point), and it has excellent community support
          > and those are huge plusses for me as a developer.
          >
          > Dan

          - -
          Forward Computers Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 3249628, VAT Number 416458349. Registered office address : Forward House, 161 Glaisdale Drive West, Nottingham, NG8 4GY

          This email has been scanned for viruses by Messagelabs.
        • dan.doyle@cexp.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
            Yeah, implementing a servlet is easy and I already did the work last
            night. However, my concern is creating too many vectors that an attacker
            can use to do whatever. The more openings I create either through DWR or
            a special servlet is more opportunity. So, it seems it is best to keep
            it to as few as attack vectors as possible.

            Thanks for relating your experience. At least I know I am not alone in
            thinking that several AJAX frameworks will exist if a person uses Yahoo
            and that this is not the ideal.

            Dan

            dan.doyle@... wrote:

            > Update:
            >
            > I have not bridged Yahoo and DWR yet. It seems like it should be
            > straightforward, but I have not had the time to delve into the details

            > of either library and work must go on. From what I can tell, bridging
            > the two is not as simple as having Yahoo generate the proper query.
            > DWR generates a unique token that I believe it uses to match up
            > returns. In addition, DWR attempts to bridge the Java world with the
            > Javascript world by trying to generate the notion of a bean on the
            > client. I suspect that the callback from DWR is more complicated than
            > a JSON or an array or just plain XML as the information returned from
            > DWR has to create the pseudo-bean.
            >
            > Nevertheless, I am going to implement a servlet that receives a query
            > term as the Yahoo library prescribes for the time being. I will resume

            > looking into both javascript libraries to see how I can make an
            > adapter Yahoo will make AJAX calls through to DWR and DWR callbacks
            > feed back into Yahoo. There is value in having a framework that is
            > flexible enough to allow a developer to plugin their preferred AJAX
            > framework. I think that it is a shortcoming for the Yahoo library to
            > couple features to a specific implementation of AJAX. After all,
            > Yahoo's library is has many great features, is maturing or is mature
            > (I can't tell at this point), and it has excellent community support
            > and those are huge plusses for me as a developer.
            >
            > Dan

            - -
            Forward Computers Limited is a company registered in England and Wales
            with company number 3249628, VAT Number 416458349. Registered office
            address : Forward House, 161 Glaisdale Drive West, Nottingham, NG8 4GY

            This email has been scanned for viruses by Messagelabs.

            Yahoo! Groups Links