AutoComplete

  • dan.doyle@cexp.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007

      So, I am going to try to solicit help again. Here is the skinny:

      What variable in the AutoComplete object can I assign a function of my choosing to do the AJAX call?

      What variable in the AutoComplete object do I use for my callback from my AJAX function?

      I do not want to use the existing AJAX functionality in the XHRDataSource, but I want the functionality in the XHRDataSource. I should be able to have the XHRDataSource use an AJAX call I have setup if I do not want to use the existing functionality. The reason is that I am using an AJAX framework on the server and XHRDataSource does not format its queries correctly, even with the customization to the query that is available through the Yahoo library.

      There seems to be quite a bit of activity on this mail list which is good. I am hopeful a developer that has worked on this object can help me. I want to sidestep having to take a detailed look into the AutoComplete object in order to get this functionality. The lack of being able to assign my own function to perform the AJAX call seems to be a shortcoming in the library.

      Thanks,

      Dan

    • jennykhan
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3 6:43 PM
        Hi Dan,

        As it stands currently, the behavior you are looking for is not
        available out of the box. It sounds like you could write your own
        DataSource class in order to provide custom XHR functionality, which
        would indeed involve getting your hands dirty with the source code.

        A slightly simpler approach would be to write your own Connection
        Manger class and point to that as your DS_XHR.connMgr value
        (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.widget.DS_XHR.html#connMgr).

        Regards,
        Jenny

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, <dan.doyle@...> wrote:

        > So, I am going to try to solicit help again. Here is the skinny:
        >

        > What variable in the AutoComplete object can I assign a function of my
        > choosing to do the AJAX call?
        >
        > What variable in the AutoComplete object do I use for my callback from
        > my AJAX function?
        >

        > I do not want to use the existing AJAX functionality in the
        > XHRDataSource, but I want the functionality in the XHRDataSource. I
        > should be able to have the XHRDataSource use an AJAX call I have setup
        > if I do not want to use the existing functionality. The reason is that I
        > am using an AJAX framework on the server and XHRDataSource does not
        > format its queries correctly, even with the customization to the query
        > that is available through the Yahoo library.
        >

        > There seems to be quite a bit of activity on this mail list which is
        > good. I am hopeful a developer that has worked on this object can help
        > me. I want to sidestep having to take a detailed look into the
        > AutoComplete object in order to get this functionality. The lack of
        > being able to assign my own function to perform the AJAX call seems to
        > be a shortcoming in the library.
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Dan

      • Jim Siercke
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 20, 2008
          Hello All,

          Not sure what I am missing here, but my autocomplete only displays the
          first record form my results. I am using an XML datasource and the
          document is coming in correctly, it is just not displaying in the
          autocomplete dropdown. Anyone have any suggestions as to why this is
          happening?

          Jim