Open Source License Clarification

  • Alexander Day Chaffee
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2006
      Wow, this library looks great. And I'm quite impressed with the clear,
      thorough discussion of usability issues at
      http://developer.yahoo.net/ypatterns/

      I also highly appreciate the fact that you've released this library
      under an Open Source license. One minor issue, however: the license
      http://developer.yahoo.net/yui/license.txt
      talks about "Redistribution and use of this software in source and
      binary forms". But this is a JavaScript library. When users hit the
      site, the entire library -- in source code form -- is downloaded to
      the client browser. Could you please clarify whether this constitutes
      redistribution? And if so, how must we give due credit? Must we put
      the text of the license in a comment in our HTML? Put a Web Badge on
      our site's main page?

      I believe that using the libraries alone does not constitue accessing
      Yahoo's Web Services API so the rules at
      http://developer.yahoo.net/terms/ and
      http://developer.yahoo.net/attribution/
      don't necessarily apply (and are not in fact mentioned by the
      BSD-style license).

      Thanks -

      - Alex
      http://www.purpletech.com/blog/
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
        Alex,

        Thanks for the kind words.  We're really excited about the juxtaposition of design and development, too -- we think there's a lot to learn at the intersection of those two worlds.

        Here's the scoop on redistribution:

        Any time Yahoo UI Library code leaves a non-Yahoo! machine outbound to someone else, whether being served over http (inline, as an external .js file, etc.) or compressed as a .zip or in any other form, it needs to have at minimum the following attribution:

        Copyright (c) 2006, Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
        Code licensed under the BSD License:

        If you redistribute the library as a zip file (in whole or in part), we'd ask that you include the full text file containing the license, because that's more descriptive and complete.  But when you serve parts of the library as part of your own Web app, you need only include the three lines above; that's a much more compact and page-weight-friendly way of doing attribution.

        Regards,
        Eric

        We would ask that you include the full
        On Feb 14, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Alexander Day Chaffee wrote:

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Eric Ceres
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2006

          I was wondering if in future builds you could include these 3 lines into each js file.  Currently the files have the following:

          /*
          Copyright (c) 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
          version 0.9.0
          */

          If these were all modified to add the 2 additional lines (below) this would make it easier on all users. If I am not misunderstanding, currently I need to go into each file in the library I am going to be transmiting and make this modification myself.

          /*

          Eric Miraglia <miraglia@...> wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Mail

        • Eric Miraglia
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 14, 2006
            Eric,

            Makes good sense to us.  We will do just as you are suggesting in our next release.

            Regards,
            Eric

            On Feb 28, 2006, at 1:02 PM, Eric Ceres wrote:

            Hi,

[...]

            C programming language Computer programming languages Java programming language
            The c programming language C programming language Concept of programming language

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • kllee1983
            Message 5 of 7 , May 25, 2006
              Hi Eric,

              I've downloaded the YUI Library version 0.10.0, where every .js files
              downloaded already has these 3 lines on top of the page.

              So, if my application is to includes and use this Library .js file, do
              i need to put these 3 lines into my application too?

              I guess not rite? Just includes the YUI .js files in my pages, and i
              can already use it freely right?

              Many thanks.

              Regards,
              Lee

              > Alex,
              >
              > Thanks for the kind words. We're really excited about the
              > juxtaposition of design and development, too -- we think there's a
              > lot to learn at the intersection of those two worlds.
              >
              > Here's the scoop on redistribution:
              >
              > Any time Yahoo UI Library code leaves a non-Yahoo! machine outbound
              > to someone else, whether being served over http (inline, as an
              > external .js file, etc.) or compressed as a .zip or in any other
              > form, it needs to have at minimum the following attribution:
              >
              > Copyright (c) 2006, Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
              > Code licensed under the BSD License:
              > http://developer.yahoo.net/yui/license.txt
              >
              > If you redistribute the library as a zip file (in whole or in part),
              > we'd ask that you include the full text file containing the license,
              > because that's more descriptive and complete. But when you serve
              > parts of the library as part of your own Web app, you need only
              > include the three lines above; that's a much more compact and page-
              > weight-friendly way of doing attribution.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Eric
              >

              > We would ask that you include the full
              > On Feb 14, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Alexander Day Chaffee wrote:
              >
              > > Wow, this library looks great. And I'm quite impressed with the clear,
              > > thorough discussion of usability issues at
              > > http://developer.yahoo.net/ypatterns/
              > >
              > > I also highly appreciate the fact that you've released this library
              > > under an Open Source license. One minor issue, however: the license
              > > http://developer.yahoo.net/yui/license.txt
              > > talks about "Redistribution and use of this software in source and
              > > binary forms". But this is a JavaScript library. When users hit the
              > > site, the entire library -- in source code form -- is downloaded to
              > > the client browser. Could you please clarify whether this constitutes
              > > redistribution? And if so, how must we give due credit? Must we put
              > > the text of the license in a comment in our HTML? Put a Web Badge on
              > > our site's main page?
              > >
              > > I believe that using the libraries alone does not constitue accessing
              > > Yahoo's Web Services API so the rules at
              > > http://developer.yahoo.net/terms/ and
              > > http://developer.yahoo.net/attribution/
              > > don't necessarily apply (and are not in fact mentioned by the
              > > BSD-style license).
              > >
              > > Thanks -
              > >
              > > - Alex
              > > http://www.purpletech.com/blog/
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Eric Miraglia
              Message 6 of 7 , May 25, 2006
                Lee,

                You're correct — the attribution we provide in the /build directory
                js files is sufficient; you needn't add attribution elsewhere in your
                application, and you can use it freely.

                Regards,
                Eric

              • kllee1983
                Message 7 of 7 , May 25, 2006
                  Thanks Eric. Appreciate your fast response.

                  Best Regards,
                  Lee