Methods to Save/Persist TreeView Object Across Pages/Frames?

  • Chun
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10 1:38 PM
      I'm currently using Yahoo TreeView to build up a dynamically loaded
      directory tree. I have DWR AJAX calls to retrieve children of each
      node, and it works all fine.

      However, just like most other in-page dynamic elements, the content
      and state of the tree will not survive a page refresh or back/forward
      buttons. I'm thinking of persisting the TreeView object in HttpSession
      via an AJAX call to the server and rebuild the TreeView based on the
      persisted content later on when the page is revisited.

      Here is my problem. I can't find any known TreeView methods in the API
      that can either export the TreeView object into a Serializable format
      (such as XML) or reconstruct the object back from such XML string.

      I've also tried an alternative with DWR. I tried to pass the TreeView
      object as a parameter into a mapped DWR method to persist it as
      java.lang.Object into HttpSession. The problem is that DWR could not
      convert between TreeView object and java Object. Again, if TreeView
      can be easily exported as XML, DWR will have no problem converting it
      between javascript and Java Strings.

      Any suggestions or alternatives? Thanks in advance!
    • momiller121
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10 5:55 PM
        One idea... How about just building state on the client and running
        your client side within a frameset a la gmail... Share your treeview
        state off variables declared in a page you don't see that persists for
        the session

        Cheers,

        Mark