Re: [ydn-javascript] Problems with TreeView

  • Eric Miraglia
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
      Amit,

      If I understand your question correctly, you might find that a solution we talked about recently on the forum works for you as well:

      The technique is to provide a wrapping div around the TreeView instance's container element and set the width/overflow properties of the wrapper; code is included in the link above.

      Good luck with your project, Amit.

      Regards,
      Eric

      Eric Miraglia
      Yahoo! User Interface Library

      On Jan 3, 2007, at 7:13 AM, amit_19aug wrote:

      Guys any inputs on these these???

      We started using the setDynaminLoad() method to display the folder
      image next to the empty Folder. However because of this the broken
      line issue started coming (tree with broken lines).

      The Distortion issue comes when the name of the Node is longer than
      the space available on the right side of the div (i.e. the space
      between the node starting place and the end of the left frame). The
      main reason for this is the tree first tries to fit the name in the
      left frame, by pusing it as left as possible, and if the required
      space is not available (in the left) it creates the scroll bar.

      Thanks in advance
      cheers
      amit

    • vidhyaraghunathan
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
        Hi there,
        I am having a similar problem, that is the tree is getting
        distorted, if the node label is longer than the width specified for
        thr treediv. As per your suggestion, I have wrapped the treediv
        under a parent div but it didnt solve the problem. I am using yui
        version 0.12.1.

        What i want to achieve is, even if the node label is longer, it
        should go beyond the specified width, which i can view by setting a
        horizontal scroll bar.

        The code i have tried using
        y:auto;overflow-x:auto;">

        Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

        Regards,
        Vidhya

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Eric Miraglia <miraglia@...>

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
          Vidhya,

          Your approach appears to be the right one, and indeed it works well for me.  However, note that you are missing a closing quotation mark on the id attribute of your parentTreeDiv tag:

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 5, 2007
            Eric,
            Thanks a lot for your reply. But correcting the error you have
            mentioned havent made any difference.
            Any ideas??

            Thanks in advance.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 5, 2007
              Vidhya,

              Take a look at the following example, where this is set up in a very simple context to illustrate the technique:

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007

                Eric,

                Thanks for your reply. The illustration you have pasted works well but there is one problem. For all nodes that have children i am placing a folder icon. For such nodes, when the label is bigger, it eclipses the icon and distorts the tree.

                I downloaded the code from the URL you have given and made the following modfifications.

                1. Replaced images 'lp.gif' and 'lph.gif' with images with folder icon.

                2.  Modified tree.css,  (eg)

                .ygtvlp {
                 BACKGROUND: url(lp.gif) no-repeat 0px 0px; WIDTH: 34px; CURSOR: pointer; HEIGHT: 22px
                }
                .ygtvlph {
                 BACKGROUND: url(lph.gif) no-repeat 0px 0px; WIDTH: 34px; CURSOR: pointer; HEIGHT: 22px
                }

                Note: Previously the WIDTH was 16px on wich the folder icon was not visible.

                Is there any way to attach my screeshot, so that you could have a fair idea visualizing the same.

                Appreciate your suggestions in this.

                Regards,

                Vidhya

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
                  Vidhya,

                  I'm not sure why changing the CSS definition in the way that you have would result in your TreeView instance not expanding horizontally as desired when given space to do so.  Better than a screenshot would be a functional url where we could see the effect in action -- is there a way for you to post your example?

                  If not, and if you're unable to resolve the issue through your own sleuthing, please zip up copies of the relevant files and file a bug on SourceForge.  Be sure to log in to SourceForge before filing the bug.  You'll be able to attach your zip archive of files to the bug, and that will allow a member of our team to explore the problem you're having more fully.

                  On Jan 8, 2007, at 3:12 AM, vidhyaraghunathan wrote:

                  Eric,

                  Thanks for your reply. The illustration you have pasted works well but there is one problem. For all nodes that have children i am placing a folder icon. For such nodes, when the label is bigger, it eclipses the icon and distorts the tree.

                  I downloaded the code from the URL you have given and made the following modfifications.

                  1. Replaced images 'lp.gif' and 'lph.gif' with images with folder icon.

                  2.  Modified tree.css,  (eg)

                  .ygtvlp {
                   BACKGROUND: url(lp.gif) no-repeat 0px 0px; WIDTH: 34px; CURSOR: pointer; HEIGHT: 22px
                  }
                  .ygtvlph {
                   BACKGROUND: url(lph.gif) no-repeat 0px 0px; WIDTH: 34px; CURSOR: pointer; HEIGHT: 22px
                  }

                  Note: Previously the WIDTH was 16px on wich the folder icon was not visible.

                  Is there any way to attach my screeshot, so that you could have a fair idea visualizing the same.

                  Appreciate your suggestions in this.

                  Regards,

                  Vidhya

                  > Vidhya,
                  >
                  > Take a look at the following example, where this is set up in a very
                  > simple context to illustrate the technique:
                  >
                  > http://yuiblog.com/sandbox/yui/v0121/examples/treeview/scrolling.php
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Eric

                  > Eric Miraglia
                  > Yahoo! User Interface Library

                • amit_19aug
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 13, 2007
                    Hi Eric,

                    Many thanks for ur replies. Vidhya and my self are from the same team
                    and we are trying to incorporate all your suggestions we are unable to
                    solve the problem.
                    Also Eric due to the restrictions from the client side it will not be
                    possible for us to send any code outside our network so i guess we
                    need to solve the problem with that only.
                    Do let u know if there is any solution.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 13, 2007
                      Amit,

                      I think the best I can do for you at this point is to point you to the functional example of horizontal scrolling here:

                      That's the best solution I can recommend for achieving the effect you describe.

                      Regard,

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 14, 2007
                        Eric,

                        I tried to implement your suggestion as in your link below.

                        I took the yui_0.12.1.zip and made just 2 changes in the folders.html
                        file (found in \yui_0.12.1\yui\examples\treeview directory).

                        The changes i made were:

                        1. <div class="newsItem" style="width:300px;overflow-x:auto;"> in line
                        number 119
                        2. var tmpNode = new
                        YAHOO.widget.TextNode("label-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-" + i,
                        tree.getRoot(), false); at line number 161

                        If you open the page and click on Expand All after these two changes
                        it comes with all kind of distortions.

                        If you can mail me on amyt.malhotra@... i can send u the screen
                        shot.

                        cheers
                        amit

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 14, 2007
                          I have raised a bug, and have also attached the desired files, for
                          this at SourceForge the url for that is

                          http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&atid=836476&aid=1635588&group_id=165715

                          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "amit_19aug" <amit_19aug@...>

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 14, 2007
                            Eric,

                            I got why you were not getting the problem and we are getting it. The
                            reason is the label i was using the hyphen "-" character. Donno for
                            what reason but TreeView wraps the label if it contains that character.
                            Another difference between your example are ours is that you are not
                            using any image against the node. Now in our case the image is
                            overlapped by the long label.

                            cheers
                            amit
                            wrote:

                            > I have raised a bug, and have also attached the desired files, for
                            > this at SourceForge the url for that is

                            http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&atid=836476&aid=1635588&group_id=165715

                            > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "amit_19aug" <amit_19aug@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Eric,
                            > >
                            > > I tried to implement your suggestion as in your link below.
                            > >
                            > > I took the yui_0.12.1.zip and made just 2 changes in the folders.html
                            > > file (found in \yui_0.12.1\yui\examples\treeview directory).
                            > >
                            > > The changes i made were:
                            > >
                            > > 1. <div class="newsItem" style="width:300px;overflow-x:auto;"> in line
                            > > number 119
                            > > 2. var tmpNode = new
                            > > YAHOO.widget.TextNode("label-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-" + i,
                            > > tree.getRoot(), false); at line number 161
                            > >
                            > > If you open the page and click on Expand All after these two changes
                            > > it comes with all kind of distortions.
                            > >
                            > > If you can mail me on amyt.malhotra@ i can send u the screen
                            > > shot.
                            > >
                            > > cheers
                            > > amit
                            > >

                            > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Eric Miraglia <miraglia@>
                            wrote:

                            > > > Amit,
                            > > >
                            > > > I think the best I can do for you at this point is to point you to
                            > > > the functional example of horizontal scrolling here:
                            > > >
                            > > > http://yuiblog.com/sandbox/yui/v0121/examples/treeview/scrolling.php
                            > > >
                            > > > That's the best solution I can recommend for achieving the effect
                            > you
                            > > > describe.
                            > > >
                            > > > Regard,
                            > > > Eric

                            > > > Eric Miraglia
                            > > > Yahoo! User Interface Library

                            > team
                            > unable to
                            > not be

                            > horizontally as
                            > would be
                            > there

                            > a bug
                            > bug,

                            > works well

                            > folder

                            CURSOR:
                            CURSOR:

                            > was

                            > have a

                            > in

                          • moham_dcp
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 17, 2007

                              Edit 'tree.css' which is in 'yui/treeview/assets'.

                              Replace this:

                              /* the style of the div around each node */
                              .ygtvitem { }

                              with

                              /* the style of the div around each node */
                              .ygtvitem {
                              float: none;
                              width: 50px;
                              }

                              These are added:

                              float: none;
                              width: 50px;

                              It worked for me. This is a div around your tree text on each node.

                              Regards

                              Mohammad