Re: Does asyncrequest strip certain characters?

  • carltondickson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
      Thanks Jon, that totally makes sense...I ended up using the following
      to replace all occurences of '+', thanks for the solution

      '2 + 2 = 5'.replace(/\+/g, '%2B');

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "randomjuju" <jon.chambers@...>
      wrote:

      > In URL encoding, a plus sign translates into a space. For example, if
      > you were to search Yahoo for "user interface library", you'd see that
      > you were redirected to the following URL:
      >
      > http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=user+interface+library...
      >
      > To escape the plus signs, you might take whatever data you're sending
      > and call its 'replace' method (assuming it's a string). For example:
      >
      > '2 + 2 = 5'.replace(/\+/, '%2B');
      >
      > Does that help?
      >
      > -Jon
      >
      > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "carltondickson"
      > <carltondickson@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am trying to figure out why a simple post request appears to be
      > > stripping '+' (plus) symbols from my postdata...I opened up
      > > connection.js, located the asyncRequest function and printed out a
      > > firebug console command to try to better understand where the postdata
      > > was being changed
      > >
      > > <code>
      > > asyncRequest:function(method, uri, callback, postData)
      > > {
      > > console.info(postData);
      > > .
      > > .
      > > .
      > >
      > > }
      > > </code>
      > >
      > > The output was what I expected...
      > >
      > > method=saveForm&vFormName=+44&vFormDescription=+44
      > >
      > > but when I edit the PHP service to display phpinfo I get this, which
      > > suggests somewhere along the line the + has been removed, and I'm not
      > > too sure where??
      > >
      > > Variable Value
      > > _REQUEST["method"] saveForm
      > > _REQUEST["vFormName"] 44
      > > _REQUEST["vFormDescription"] 44
      > >
      > > Do you think this is an AJAX issue or something to do with Apache?

    • randomjuju
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
        Ah -- whoops. Knew I forgot something ;)

        Glad it helped -- rock on!