Does asyncrequest strip certain characters?

  • carltondickson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
      I am trying to figure out why a simple post request appears to be
      stripping '+' (plus) symbols from my postdata...I opened up
      connection.js, located the asyncRequest function and printed out a
      firebug console command to try to better understand where the postdata
      was being changed

      <code>
      asyncRequest:function(method, uri, callback, postData)
      {
      console.info(postData);
      .
      .
      .

      }
      </code>

      The output was what I expected...

      method=saveForm&vFormName=+44&vFormDescription=+44

      but when I edit the PHP service to display phpinfo I get this, which
      suggests somewhere along the line the + has been removed, and I'm not
      too sure where??

      Variable Value
      _REQUEST["method"] saveForm
      _REQUEST["vFormName"] 44
      _REQUEST["vFormDescription"] 44

      Do you think this is an AJAX issue or something to do with Apache?
    • randomjuju
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
        In URL encoding, a plus sign translates into a space. For example, if
        you were to search Yahoo for "user interface library", you'd see that
        you were redirected to the following URL:

        http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=user+interface+library...

        To escape the plus signs, you might take whatever data you're sending
        and call its 'replace' method (assuming it's a string). For example:

        '2 + 2 = 5'.replace(/\+/, '%2B');

        Does that help?

        -Jon

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "carltondickson"

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
          Thanks Jon, that totally makes sense...I ended up using the following
          to replace all occurences of '+', thanks for the solution

          '2 + 2 = 5'.replace(/\+/g, '%2B');

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "randomjuju" <jon.chambers@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
            Ah -- whoops. Knew I forgot something ;)

            Glad it helped -- rock on!