JavaScript Documentation

  • faserone
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14 8:17 AM
      I like the Javascript Documentation provided with yui. Which kind of
      tools do they used? jsdoc ? (http://jsdoc.sourceforge.net/)
    • Thomas S. Sha
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14 8:41 AM
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "faserone" <faserone@...> wrote:

        > I like the Javascript Documentation provided with yui. Which kind of
        > tools do they used? jsdoc ? (http://jsdoc.sourceforge.net/)

        Yes, we currently use jsdoc - with some modifications - to output the
        documentation.

        Regards,
        Thomas
      • slieschke
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 18 7:55 PM
          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas S. Sha" <tsha@...> wrote:

          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "faserone" <faserone@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I like the Javascript Documentation provided with yui. Which kind of
          > > tools do they used? jsdoc ? (http://jsdoc.sourceforge.net/)
          > >

          > Yes, we currently use jsdoc - with some modifications - to output the
          > documentation.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Thomas

          Are there plans to release the jsdoc modifications? I'd be very
          interested in them.

          I see some of your libraries are written using object literals (e.g.
          the Connection Manager), but jsdoc by default won't generate
          documentation for them IIRC. Because of this, I have to write code like

          Foo = new Object();
          Foo.bar = function() { alert("Hello, world!"); }
          Foo.spaz = function() { alert("Goodbye") }; }

          instead of

          Foo = {
          bar: function() { alert("Hello, world!"); },
          spaz: function() { alert("Goodbye"); }
          }

          so I can successfully generate documentation with jsdoc.

          Cheers,

          Simon
        • Alex Russell
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 19 2:43 PM
            On Saturday 18 February 2006 7:55 pm, slieschke wrote:
            > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas S. Sha" <tsha@...>
            wrote:
            > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "faserone" <faserone@> wrote:
            > > > I like the Javascript Documentation provided with yui. Which kind
            > > > of tools do they used? jsdoc ? (http://jsdoc.sourceforge.net/)
            > >
            > > Yes, we currently use jsdoc - with some modifications - to output
            > > the documentation.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Thomas
            >
            > Are there plans to release the jsdoc modifications? I'd be very
            > interested in them.

            Will it really help that much? JSDoc is intractably centered on
            traditional class-based OO. I dont really think it's salvageable for
            modern, idomatic JS.

            --
            Alex Russell
            alex@...
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 21 4:34 PM
              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Alex Russell <alex@...> wrote:

              > > Are there plans to release the jsdoc modifications? I'd be very
              > > interested in them.
              >
              > Will it really help that much? JSDoc is intractably centered on
              > traditional class-based OO. I dont really think it's salvageable for
              > modern, idomatic JS.

              Huh? Yahoo have already made the changes to JSDoc to make it work with
              modern idiomatic JavaScript.

              I'm asking if they can release the changes so I can also write modern
              idiomatic JavaScript that I can also generate documentation from. At
              the moment I can't do this because the need to generate documentation
              for developers who use my library trumps writing JavaScript in a
              modern idiomatic fashion.

              Cheers,

              Simon
            • Alex Russell
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 21 10:20 PM
                On Tuesday 21 February 2006 4:34 pm, slieschke wrote:
                > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Alex Russell <alex@...> wrote:
                > > > Are there plans to release the jsdoc modifications? I'd be very
                > > > interested in them.
                > >
                > > Will it really help that much? JSDoc is intractably centered on
                > > traditional class-based OO. I dont really think it's salvageable
                > > for modern, idomatic JS.
                >
                > Huh? Yahoo have already made the changes to JSDoc to make it work
                > with modern idiomatic JavaScript.

                Uh, no. They shoehorned yet another hack into an ill-fitting container.
                The generated docs still have no concept of a mixin for inheritance,
                only provide for a single return type, and don't seem to handle
                variable arguments, and lord knows what'll happen when you throw an
                idiom like "namespace.singleton = new function(){}" at it.

                It does, however, accommodate namespaces (e.g.: literals). Progress,
                baby.

                Regards