Re: [ydn-javascript] YUI 2 (beta) ?!?

  • Eric Miraglia
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2006
      Andrei,

      Rest assured that the YUI Library that is available to you — currently at version 0.12.1 — is the same library we use at Yahoo!, including on Yahoo! Mail.

      We use a different versioning scheme internally; hence, you may see filenames for YUI scripts on Yahoo! sites that indicate a version number of, say, 2.0.x.  YUI version 0.12.1 as of today is the latest version of the library and is in fact more recent than the "beta" version you noticed on Yahoo! Mail.

      While there are situations where YUI components in development may be released as part of an internal alpha at Yahoo!, major releases of the library are usually made available internally and externally at the same time.

      Regards,
      Eric

      Eric Miraglia
      Yahoo! User Interface Library

      On Dec 29, 2006, at 3:55 PM, Andrei Neculau wrote:

      I looked today into some websites that have examples for YUI (e.g. the
      Accordion Menu example) and I noticed that they give references to
      some YUI 2 beta files.

      If you check the JS used for the new Yahoo Mail, you will notice the
      same references in the code.

      Could someone explain what is happening behind "closed-doors"? I
      mean... I would assume that the Yahoo JS developing team has its
      projects and findings... but I get the slight nasty feeling that
      people are somewhat lagging behind, by using the YUI... only for the
      fact that it is stable.

      I mean.... Yahoo as a whole wouldn't make some BETA products public if
      they weren't already quite stable, and if it's stable enough for
      Yahoo, it can easily be stable for "me".

      Why isn't there any reference to this issue? Is it because there's no
      documentation for the "new" stuff that is in the YUI2BETA and you
      don't want to release un-documented code, or... ?!

      Anyone?

    • Andrei Neculau
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2006
        Thanks for the clarification, Eric!