Re: [ydn-javascript] Slider error when hidden!

  • Alessandro Vernet
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 29, 2006
      chochis wrote:

      > I had a positioning error on slider thumb position when changing the
      > display style from block to none. When trying to set a new value to
      > the slider it failed to position it on the right one.
      >
      > So, I founded that getOffsetFromParent function was returnin NaN in
      > some cases and made it fail.

      Yes! I have the same problem with YUI 0.12.0 (I haven't checked if the issue
      is still there in 0.12.1). I documented the fix I have done for 0.12.0 on
      the page linked below (look for slider.js).

      https://wiki.objectweb.org/ops/Wiki.jsp?page=YUI

      Your millage may vary with this fix:

      * If you are using the vertical slider you will want to change getYValue()
      as well.
      * This might not work if your slider starts at a position other than 0.

      Now a question for our friends at Yahoo!: is a fix for this planned for a
      future version of YUI? Of course let me know if the problem as described in
      this thread is not clear.

      Alex
      --
      Blog (XML, Web apps, Open Source):
      http://www.orbeon.com/blog/

    • Alessandro Vernet
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
        Alessandro Vernet wrote:

        > Yes! I have the same problem with YUI 0.12.0 (I haven't checked if the
        > issue is still there in 0.12.1). I documented the fix I have done for
        > 0.12.0 on the page linked below (look for slider.js).
        >
        > https://wiki.objectweb.org/ops/Wiki.jsp?page=YUI

        Did anyone from Yahoo! get a chance to look at this fix and see of this is
        something that would be worth integrating in YUI?

        Alex
        --
        Orbeon Forms - Web Forms for the Enterprise, Done the Right Way
        http://www.orbeon.com/

      • Eric Miraglia
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
          Alessandro,

          Is there a reason why you would set display:none on the thumb of a slider instead of visibility:hidden?

          Regards,
          Eric

          Eric Miraglia
          Yahoo! User Interface Library

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
            Hi Eric,

            Eric Miraglia wrote:

            > Is there a reason why you would set display:none on the thumb of a
            > slider instead of visibility:hidden?

            Sorry, I feel I am missing something: where am I am setting display:none on
            the thumb?

            Alex

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
              Alex,

              See the original post in this thread...

              Perhaps I am not clear on what the exact issue is here.

              Regards,
              Eric

              Eric Miraglia
              Yahoo! User Interface Library

              On Feb 2, 2007, at 7:27 PM, Alessandro Vernet wrote:

              Hi Eric,

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 6, 2007
                Eric Miraglia wrote:

                > Alex,
                >
                > See the original post in this thread...

                > Perhaps I am not clear on what the exact issue is here.

                Eric,

                Sorry, I got confused. So, the problem we have here happens when the slider
                is hidden when the page is initially loaded. The slider is initially hidden
                with display: none, which is then changed in JavaScript into display: block.

                The reason we use display: none instead of visibility hidden is that we
                don't want the slider to take any space in the layout.

                Concretely, the slider is in a "tab" which is not displayed when the page
                first loads. The tab is a div with display: none. When you click on the tab,
                the display of this tab is changed to "block" and the slider becomes
                visible. You can see this in action (click on the "Range" tab):

                http://www.orbeon.com/ops/xforms-controls/

                Is there any chance that sliders initially hidden will work out of the box
                in the next version of YUI?

                Alex
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 7, 2007
                  Alex,

                  The problem, I suspect, is that that using the display property to hide your slider is preventing some necessary computation from being done on the part of Drag and Drop (Slider is an implementation of Drag and Drop).  When elements are styled as display:none, there are certain aspects of their style object that cannot be read or manipulated.

                  Another approach that should solve your problem is to load the page with your slider set with visibility:hidden and position:absolute.  This will take it out of the page flow and make it invisible, just like display:none, but without the harmful side effects.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 28, 2007
                    Eric,

                    Eric Miraglia wrote:

                    > Another approach that should solve your problem is to load the page
                    > with your slider set with visibility:hidden and position:absolute.
                    > This will take it out of the page flow and make it invisible, just
                    > like display:none, but without the harmful side effects.

                    This is a good point. I will try this approach.

                    Alex
                    --
                    Orbeon Forms - Web 2.0 Forms for the Enterprise
                    http://www.orbeon.com/
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 12, 2008
                      Eric,

                      Alessandro Vernet wrote:

                      > Eric,
                      >

                      > Eric Miraglia wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Another approach that should solve your problem is to load the page
                      >> with your slider set with visibility:hidden and position:absolute.
                      >> This will take it out of the page flow and make it invisible, just
                      >> like display:none, but without the harmful side effects.
                      >>

                      > This is a good point. I will try this approach.

                      I am not sure if a follow-up on a thread almost two years after the last
                      message is considered good etiquette :), but your suggestion works
                      beautifully. Thanks!

                      Alex

                      -----
                      Orbeon Forms - Web 2.0 Forms, open-source, for the Enterprise
                      Orbeon's Blog: http://www.orbeon.com/blog/
                      Personal Blog: http://avernet.blogspot.com/
                      Twitter - http://twitter.com/avernet
                    • Eric Miraglia
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 12, 2008
                        Alex,

                        I'm glad the solution worked for you -- and that we're all still here having fun with YUI two years later!

                        -Eric

                        On Nov 12, 2008, at 6:02 PM, Alessandro Vernet wrote:

                        Eric,