Re: Dialogs, opacity, and IE6 security

  • russncraig
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2006
      Still haven't been able to precisely locate the source of this
      problem, but i think it is specific to our internal environment. For
      the benefit of any others who run into similar problems with opacity
      in IE, i'll post these final notes.

      I believe the issue was in the interaction of a recent IE6 security
      update, our enterprise security settings (which are quite tight), and
      the configuration of our Web servers. I believe that an even more
      recent IE6/Windows XP update -- perhaps released 12/18/2006 or earlier
      -- resolved the problem. It may also have been resolved by some
      fiddling done with our IE security settings for intranet "trusted"
      sites. There may be some relationship to DirectX (used to implement
      opacity in IE).

      I also believe that this issue was related to a pernicious security
      warning we received with some implementations of Overlay, even with
      the most recent version of the library. When we began having trouble
      with opacity, we also began getting the "there are secure and insecure
      items on this page" warning when hiding and destroying a customized
      Overlay (containing Calendar and Menu objects) we are using. When the
      opacity issue disappeared, it appears the security warning did as well.

      I hope this is unique to us, 'cause it's been a real pain.

      russ