Needed Ways to load menu faster

  • kavithapronet
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2006
      Hii All,,,,

      I am using yui menu

      Menu loads very slowly,,especially in IE,i am loading the menu
      onMouseOver event of button,,

      so,I tried to load menu in onLoad event giving target as null

      It works,,now menu loads faster,,but whole page loads very slower

      We are worried about the performance of page while loading as our
      pages contain huge amount of data

      Can anybody help me in this regard????

      Thank you
    • Todd Kloots
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
        What version of the Menu library are you using? As of
        0.12 Menu has a "lazyload" configuration property that
        will help load time performance by deferring the
        rendering of submenus until they are made visible.
        Also - what sort of menu are you creating? Is it a
        context menu for a button? Can you provide an
        example? The more info you can provide the better.

        Thanks,
        Todd

        --- kavithapronet <kavithapronet@...> wrote:

        > Hii All,,,,
        >
        > I am using yui menu
        >
        > Menu loads very slowly,,especially in IE,i am
        > onMouseOver event of button,,
        >
        > so,I tried to load menu in onLoad event giving
        > target as null
        >
        > It works,,now menu loads faster,,but whole page
        > loads very slower
        >
        > We are worried about the performance of page while
        > pages contain huge amount of data
        >
        > Can anybody help me in this regard????
        >
        > Thank you
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        > (Yahoo! ID required)

      • kavithapronet
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
          Hiii Todd,,,

          I am using Context menu,,now 12.0.1 version,,

          I have given a hyperlink and i am loading menu on mouseover event upon
          hyperlink

          ya,,lazyload i used,,but even menu is slower,,especially in IE

          and it takes lot of time to load and appear if menuitems are more

          Any other ways r there?Just wanted to make sure

          Thank You

          > What version of the Menu library are you using? As of
          > 0.12 Menu has a "lazyload" configuration property that
          > will help load time performance by deferring the
          > rendering of submenus until they are made visible.
          > Also - what sort of menu are you creating? Is it a
          > context menu for a button? Can you provide an
          > example? The more info you can provide the better.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Todd
          >
          > --- kavithapronet <kavithapronet@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hii All,,,,
          > >
          > > I am using yui menu
          > >
          > > Menu loads very slowly,,especially in IE,i am
          > > onMouseOver event of button,,
          > >
          > > so,I tried to load menu in onLoad event giving
          > > target as null
          > >
          > > It works,,now menu loads faster,,but whole page
          > > loads very slower
          > >
          > > We are worried about the performance of page while
          > > pages contain huge amount of data
          > >
          > > Can anybody help me in this regard????
          > >
          > > Thank you
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >
          > > (Yahoo! ID required)
          > >
          > > mailto:ydn-javascript-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • kengineering
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 9, 2007
            I have noticed an issue with Menu speed also, and have a sample for you:

            http://kensystem.com/example08.html

            This is the examples/menu/example08.html file, with 311 nodes and 270
            leafs added to it - not a very outrageous number IMO but runs very
            slow on FF and *especially* on IE. On FF it takes ~20 seconds on my
            2Ghz machine, and basically hangs IE. IE (maybe FF too) seems to
            suffer from exponential slowdowns, the larger the menu gets.

            ken
          • Todd Kloots
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2007
              Ken,

              The link that you sent appears to be broken. Can you
              send again?

              Thanks,
              Todd

              --- kengineering <ken@...> wrote:

              > I have noticed an issue with Menu speed also, and
              > have a sample for you:
              >
              > http://kensystem.com/example08.html
              >
              > This is the examples/menu/example08.html file, with
              > 311 nodes and 270
              > leafs added to it - not a very outrageous number IMO
              > but runs very
              > slow on FF and *especially* on IE. On FF it takes
              > ~20 seconds on my
              > 2Ghz machine, and basically hangs IE. IE (maybe FF
              > too) seems to
              > suffer from exponential slowdowns, the larger the
              > menu gets.
              >
              > ken
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >
              > (Yahoo! ID required)

            • kengineering
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 10, 2007
                Try this one please.
                http://kensystem.com/example08.html

                Note that this is just the file, without any of yui includes, so you'd
                have to install it over the one in the examples dir.

                Thx,
                ken

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 11, 2007
                  Sorry, I typoed -- this should be:

                  http://kensystem.com/example08.zip

                  Ken
                • Todd Kloots
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 17, 2007
                    Ken -

                    That URL doesn't work either. Are you still
                    experiencing this problem? Have you looked that the
                    menu examples that use the "lazyload" configuration
                    property? Enabling lazy loading should greatly
                    improve the initialization and rendering time for you.

                    http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/

                    - Todd