Reliability of page when making repeated XHRs

  • tmc_kadesh
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4 12:44 PM
      Let's say I have a server with a message queue. I can call a servlet
      to get the next message off the queue.

      If I have a page with a small Javascript application that does this:

      --- begin pseudo code ---

      create new XHR
      call servlet
      on success, process response XML
      repeat

      --- end pseudo code ---

      What sort of reliability issues will I have? Can I expect that a user
      sitting on this page for 8 hours would continue to get messages, or am
      I going to run into memory leaks or other performance issues? Will
      the user experience be the same at now+5 minutes as it would at now+5
      hours?

      For context, this functionality is currently implemented in a Java applet.

      Thanks,

      Seth
    • Cecil Vermule
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4 2:08 PM
        As long as you do the call correctly and do the client side processing, you should have no issues.

        On 4/4/06, tmc_kadesh <s.kadesh@...> wrote:
        Let's say I have a server with a message queue.  I can call a servlet
        to get the next message off the queue.

        If I have a page with a small Javascript application that does this:

        --- begin pseudo code ---

        create new XHR
        call servlet
        on success, process response XML
        repeat

        --- end pseudo code ---

        What sort of reliability issues will I have?  Can I expect that a user
        sitting on this page for 8 hours would continue to get messages, or am
        I going to run into memory leaks or other performance issues?  Will
        the user experience be the same at now+5 minutes as it would at now+5
        hours?

        For context, this functionality is currently implemented in a Java applet.

        Thanks,

        Seth

        Yahoo! Groups Links

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/