Re: Pressing enter twice to submit an autocomplete-enhanced form.

  • jennykhan
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2006
      Hi Chris,

      The behavior you describe (if I understand correctly) is as designed:
      if the container is open and the user selects an item from it, the
      form is not supposed to be submitted. If you would like to change that
      behavior, I recommend subscribing to the itemSelectEvent and calling
      checkReturn when it fires.

      Hope that helps,
      Jenny

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "cpfs50" <cpfs@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jenny
      >
      > I'm using Yahoo UI Vn 0.12 and the problem is still there. As I
      > mentioned below The behaviour on IE is that the first return entered
      > doesn't seem to fire the checkReturn function shown.
      > It's as if autocomplete receives the character first and closes the
      > autocomplete ready for the next return to do the form submit, but does
      > not allow the Return character to propogate to any other listening
      > events.
      > The second return does actually arrive in the checkreturn
      > function but its too late by then. It seems strange to me that the
      > Firefox behaviour is correct and checkReturn gets the first Return
      > with no problem. Does Firefox put the addListener event in a different
      > order?
      >
      > Thanks for any help
      >
      > Chris
      >

      > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jennykhan" <jennyhan@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Chris,
      > >
      > > I believe the problem you are seeing has been fixed as of the latest
      > > release. Can you confirm which version you are using?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Jenny
      > >

      > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "cpfs50" <cpfs@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Jenny
      > > >
      > > > I also wanted to change the behaviour so that you need only press
      > > > <RETURN> once to submit the form. Thanks for your help. It works
      > > > perfectly in Firefox, but in IE it seems to miss the first <RETURN>
      > > > key. Here's my code:
      > > >
      > > > //ensure that any return key submits the form
      > > > var oElement = document.getElementById("ysearchinput0");
      > > > function checkReturn(e) {
      > > > var keyno = YAHOO.util.Event.getCharCode(e);
      > > > if (keyno == 13) {
      > > > document.gensrch.submit();
      > > > }
      > > > }
      > > > YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(oElement, "keypress", checkReturn);
      > > >
      > > > So basically this functi0n is capturing all keypresses except the
      > > > 'first' <RETURN>, keyno 13 in IE but handles it perfectly in
      Firefox.