RE: [ydn-javascript] Send Message from web site

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006

      can anyone suggest a way to send IM from a web page?

      Most likely, your page will communicate with a server that does the actual communication. Following is a URL to sample code that works with AIM, and a URL to libraries that let you talk to GTalk/Jabber/XMPP clients.

      http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1683074

      http://www.jabber.org/software/libraries.shtml

      See Meebo for an example of a site that does this for all popular protocols.

      — Charles

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006

        Is anyone here working on an auto-suggest/auto-search component for YUI?

        If so, I’d be interested in working with you on this.

        Thanks,

        — Charles

      • Charles
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006

          Hello,

          I’m feeling stupid. Why doesn’t this work?

                var pos = new YAHOO.util.Point(100, 100);

                YAHOO.util.Dom.setXY('searchResults', pos);

          I am able to set the XY of ‘searchResults’ if I first get the XY of another element.

          — Charles

        • Matt Sweeney
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
            Hi Charles,

            YAHOO.util.Point is a subclass of YAHOO.util.Region, which is an object with the properties "top, right, bottom, left".  In the case of a Point, left == right, and top == bottom.

            YAHOO.util.Dom.setXY accepts an array comprised of X and Y coordinates.

            You could either do:
            YAHOO.util.Dom.setXY('searchResults', [100, 100]);
            or
            var pos = new YAHOO.util.Point(100, 100);
            YAHOO.util.Dom.setXY('searchResults', [pos.left, pos.top]);

            This brings up a good point, though.  Perhaps setXY should also accept an object with "top, left" properties.

            Matt

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006

              Thanks, Matt!

              This brings up a good point, though.  Perhaps setXY should also accept an object with "top, left" properties.

              Yeah, it seemed reasonable to expect setXY to accept a Point directly.

              (I’ll probably have several similarly-silly questions over the next couple of months, but hope to be able to contribute answers soon…)